CPU Zen 2 News and Rumors Discussion

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
Original poster
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
All I can say is... holy cow! I was right about Intel’s 9th Gen CPUs being crazily clocked because of what Intel’s corporate espionage informed them was in the Zen 2 pipeline. Little did I know, however, that the actual Zen 2 specifications were this stratospherically groundbreaking and paradigm-shifting. AdoredTV’s pedigree and track record speaks for itself so I trust this wholeheartedly. With this news, the Corean War is now really heating up. You can bet that 16-core 5.1 GHz Ryzen 7 3850X is on my wishlist.

Update: Kyle Bennett at HardOCP has confirmed the authenticity of this leak.

https://hardforum.com/threads/adore...on-3000-series-leaks.1973015/#post-1043970615

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

If AMD can bring these to market at these prices they are going to crush Intel, all I can say is way to go AMD.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
I honestly think 6c/12t on entry level to be a bit too high?
what will hapens to the really low level cpus? 8core atlhons?
well, 4 cores is too low these days honestly. but if thats correct.. that could realy be game changing for the budget parts. 8 core cpu for 60 usd? I'd be drowning on it

ExplodingWaffle101

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 11, 2018
navi igpus sounds interesting. as a buy used or die person i probably wont end up with one of these (who knows, it could be a killer deal) but everyones gonna be selling ryzen 2 right? :p

Reactions: owliwar

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
The 3600G looks the most interesting.

20CU is quite a lot so I'm wondering if Amd has a work around for the bandwidth bottleneck.

I doubt it, the only solutions are Quad channel ram or HBM on package.
HBM cost is significantly high enough to put the APU into an unaffordable bracket for the target market of APU's.
Quad channel on a mainstream platform is something we won't see either.
Even DDR5 will hamstring the APU's.

There are professionals and enthusiasts out there that don't care about the platform cost and would be only too happy to pay for HBM equipped APU's. I guess just not enough for AMD to put them into production........

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Anyone have a rough idea of how much better the performance on a Navi core is when compared to a Vega core? Considering the 11CU 2400G was roughly on par with a 1030 and the 24 core variant of the Intel/AMD lovechild was 1050ti/1060, I'm hoping they can pull off 1060/2050ti level performance (probably being too optimistic).

Reactions: br3nd0

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
Anyone have a rough idea of how much better the performance on a Navi core is when compared to a Vega core? Considering the 11CU 2400G was roughly on par with a 1030 and the 24 core variant of the Intel/AMD lovechild was 1050ti/1060, I'm hoping they can pull off 1060/2050ti level performance (probably being too optimistic).

I'd say realistically it's going to be 1050ti level at best.
They won't want it coming close to their 75w 3060 Navi card, which I'm praying at least one AIB does in a dual slot low profile card.

The chances of which will increase significantly if I can get people hammering AIB's with inquiries and emails. Details here:

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/amd-navi-rx-3080-3070-3060-specs-prices-leaked.9785/

enricko7

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2018
Are these all expected to be AM4 socket chips?

I wonder if AMD has plans to make a CPU/iGPU chip that is high performance. I'm excited to see performance metrics for the 3600G, but I feel like they could fit higher performance tech into a TR4 size 'apu' package. If the iGPU is good enough, boardmakers could theoretically forego pcie expansion slots. Board arrangement could change completely...

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'd love to see a variant that is 4C/8T with more Navi cores specifically aimed at the eSports/Gaming market. While I understand they don't want to cannibalize their 75W 3060 card, it would help them gain market share over Nvidia and Intel simultaneously while exploiting what I personally think could be a great market segment. Alternatively a more expensive gaming-oriented variant with on-die HBM instead of those extra two to four cores would be even better. The price point would likely be high enough it wouldn't scare off their budget GPU customer base.

Kandirma

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2017
... I feel like they could fit higher performance tech into a TR4 size 'apu' package. ...

But...why? Entry level TR4 Chip (~$300) + Mobo (~300) costs as much as a decent CPU (2700 @ ~$250) + decent Mobo (X370 ~$100) + GPU (1060 6GB ~250). And that's not mentioning the issues with the larger chipsize requiring a larger MoBo (for SFF reasons) and not including a cooler. This is all with what is out right now, of course, so once the better budget AMD chips come out I just feel like the advantages of going TR4 would diminish for an APU build, unless a budget MoBo option releases for them at the same time.

I'm sure it COULD be done, but I just don't see it being done on a socketable board given the surrounding costs. I suspect they'll do integrated systems like the Hades Canyon nucs.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
But...why? Entry level TR4 Chip (~$300) + Mobo (~300) costs as much as a decent CPU (2700 @ ~$250) + decent Mobo (X370 ~$100) + GPU (1060 6GB ~250). And that's not mentioning the issues with the larger chipsize requiring a larger MoBo (for SFF reasons) and not including a cooler. This is all with what is out right now, of course, so once the better budget AMD chips come out I just feel like the advantages of going TR4 would diminish for an APU build, unless a budget MoBo option releases for them at the same time.

I'm sure it COULD be done, but I just don't see it being done on a socketable board given the surrounding costs. I suspect they'll do integrated systems like the Hades Canyon nucs.

I agree tr4 probaably shouldn't go the apu route, but I've been wishing for m-itx tr4 since tr4 was announced ;) (probably never going to happen though)

Reactions: br3nd0 and owliwar

enricko7

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2018

I'm not asking for an itx Threadripper Board, but I see your point on that topic. What I'm thinking of is more of an embedded style, but still socketed itx motherboard. Something where the socket is TR4 size to allow for more on die components. Then, by getting rid of the pcie expansion slot you could have more room for power management circuitry. Then consider arranging the chipset (if it's even needed), RAM slots, m.2 slots, etc. to support more efficient cooling and cable management.

Reactions: Boil and owliwar