Motherboard z270 mATX gaming motherboard

CybrSlydr

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
May 3, 2017
Hi folks!

I'm currently planning out an upgrade to my current system. I'm looking at an i7 7700k and need an mATX motherboard to pair with it.

Obviously since it's the -k model, I'm going to be overclocking. I'm going to be pairing a Noctua NH-D15 cooler to give me enough headroom.

The thing I'm wanting to know is what motherboard you would suggest pairing with it?

I'm currently looking into the Asus ROG STRIX m270G - I'm familiar with Asus boards and like them. I've also got a Wireless AC router so the included 802.11ac is a bonus.

What other offerings from other manufacturers should I be considering? Anything from MSI, Gigabyte, ASRock, etc?

Thanks!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I haven't had extensive time with it since it's a build for someone else, but I'm liking the MSI Z270M Mortar that I got since the Strix wasn't in the budget.

CybrSlydr

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
May 3, 2017
I haven't had extensive time with it since it's a build for someone else, but I'm liking the MSI Z270M Mortar that I got since the Strix wasn't in the budget.

I'd been looking at it as well but more user reviews than I'd like said they had issues with getting stable OC's with the Mortar.

What are your experiences with it?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Ah, this build isn't going to be overclocked so I can't say in that regard.

CybrSlydr

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
May 3, 2017
Ah, this build isn't going to be overclocked so I can't say in that regard.

Bummer - because I would LOVE to save the $80 or so from getting the STRIX and getting another mobo and possibly stretching my budget a bit to go from a 1070 to a 1080. Star Citizen is the game I'm really building and trying to future-proof for (hence an i7 instead of the i5 7600 - SC wants/needs the hyper-threading the i7 offers).

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Theres not really a better one than what you already found especially if you are planning on using Dual M2s NVMEs which is one of the best reasons to use this board. No sata cables or drives needed. There are other boards (and a lot more coming soon) but they don't have dual M2.

Edit: Whoops I thought you meant the mITX asus 270i but you are going with mATX asus 270g. I guess all I can add then is that the 270i has really great benchmarks despite it being an mITX board. Maybe you would like having the smaller board if you dont need both pci slots.

Last edited:

CybrSlydr

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
May 3, 2017
Theres not really a better one than what you already found especially if you are planning on using Dual M2s NVMEs which is one of the best reasons to use this board. No sata cables or drives needed. There are other boards (and a lot more coming soon) but they don't have dual M2.

Edit: Whoops I thought you meant the mITX asus 270i but you are going with mATX asus 270g. I guess all I can add then is that the 270i has really great benchmarks despite it being an mITX board. Maybe you would like having the smaller board if you dont need both pci slots.

I don't currently have anything to put in the M2 - I have a SATA Samsung 840 Pro and a 2TB WD HDD. So the M2 slots aren't of any value to me.

My case is the SilverStone Temjin Series TJ08B-E - I don't think an mITX mobo would work.

Just looking for a mATX mobo that will hold a decent overclock for an i7 7700k.