CPU Worried with my 3700X temperatures.

DonkiMagala

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
Hello,

I just bought a 3700X and testing it to chech the temperatures I noticed that they are really really high for me.

While in some reviews said that the Max Temp with the Box Cooler was 78º, im getting 80º in the Ryzen Master Stress Test.

FYI, my specs:

MoBo: Gigayte Aorus Elite x570
Water Cooling: Enermax Liqmax II 240
Case: Phanteks P400S

The energy option on Windows is the AMD Ryzen Balanced.

And some screenshots, both on idle:

Thank you all.

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
3700X does run fairly warm, and that's not unreasonable for stress test temp, but that might be a little high (like a few degrees) for a 240mm AIO. What's the voltage under load, and what's the RPM of the radiator fans at load? What is the ambient temp? A picture of your component layout might help as well.

I'm guessing the stock voltage is slightly too high regardless, and if you don't mind a slight performance hit, a -0.1V offset seems to be the sweet spot for reducing temp without drastically affecting peformance. Your temp is good enough that you can probably reduce voltage by even less then that to get it down to 78C or lower with a margin of error hit to to performance, which is perfectly fine for a max load test. I would also tweak fan curves if you haven't already.

Last edited:
Reactions: DonkiMagala

DonkiMagala

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
3700X does run fairly warm, and that's not unreasonable for stress test temp, but that might be a little high (like a few degrees) for a 240mm AIO. What's the voltage under load, and what's the RPM of the radiator fans at load? What is the ambient temp? A picture of your component layout might help as well.

I'm guessing the stock voltage is slightly too high regardless, and if you don't mind a slight performance hit, a -0.1V offset seems to be the sweet spot for reducing temp without drastically affecting peformance. Your temp is good enough that you can probably reduce voltage by even less then that to get it down to 78C or lower with a margin of error hit to to performance, which is perfectly fine for a max load test. I would also tweak fan curves if you haven't already.

When gaming, it was 66º, at least plating Borderlands 3.

Here some pics, of my fan curves and my case:

The fans of the radiator are introducing air from the outside and the top and back fans are blowing the air out, the ambient temp was around 20ºC/25ºC maybe. I can't know the fan's RPM, they doesn't get monitorized. The VCore in load is 1.35v

It's weird because, while typing this today, I cheked and pass again another test and, 40ºC on Idle and 73/75ºC Max on the Stress Test, but I don't think that it's due to the ambient temp (right now my room is cooler).

Thanks!

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Remember that Ryzen 3000-series chips turbo based on cooling and power draw, so better cooling normally gives you higher clocks/better performance at similar temps and not necessarily lower temps. In other words your 80C stress test number is likely while doing more work than the 78C one you mention (also, make sure your source isn't reporting DeltaT over ambient).

Frankly I wouldn't worry. Your temps seem perfectly reasonable to me. No CPU has ever been damaged from running at 80C. And the cooler can handle it.

Reactions: DonkiMagala

DonkiMagala

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
Remember that Ryzen 3000-series chips turbo based on cooling and power draw, so better cooling normally gives you higher clocks/better performance at similar temps and not necessarily lower temps. In other words your 80C stress test number is likely while doing more work than the 78C one you mention (also, make sure your source isn't reporting DeltaT over ambient).

Frankly I wouldn't worry. Your temps seem perfectly reasonable to me. No CPU has ever been damaged from running at 80C. And the cooler can handle it.
But its weird, this morning the temps on the stress test was 73ºC as I said but, now playing is at 71/75ºC, I'm really annoyed with this CPU. (Playing a game that isnt too much demanding with CPUs).

85ºC testing now. The room is warm but, isn't like on summer. In summer it would reach easily 100ºC :/

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
But its weird, this morning the temps on the stress test was 73ºC as I said but, now playing is at 71ºC, I'm really annoyed with this CPU. (Playing a game that isnt too much demanding with CPUs)
CPU temperatures vary with the workload, background processes, ambient temps, AIO heat soak, fan speeds, and a bunch of other factors. Then there's the variability introduced by modern boost algorithms, which are increasingly variable dependent on thermals, power draw, and other factors. Not to mention the variance between different workloads - 100% CPU load just means the CPU is busy 100% of the time, and power draw can vary quite a lot depending on what exactly the CPU is doing. When you mix gaming into this - which will never push a modern 8-core CPU anywhere near 100% - things get even more confusing, as lower loads might mean the CPU boosts higher. In short: looking too hard at your CPU temperatures in a PC used for normal everyday tasks is only really going to confuse you. There's a reason that CPU cooler reviewers use very strictly controlled systems (or ideally use thermal dummy loads rather than actual CPUs). Overall temperatures are far more important than specific ones - how high does the temperature go under high loads, and what are your idle temps like? Unless either of these two are worryingly high (which I wouldn't say yours are), I would leave well enough alone and enjoy using the PC instead of worrying about something that makes no real difference. If you're overclocking and want to push things the thermals need attention, of course, but otherwise the important thing is that nothing is worryingly hot and nothing is throttling.

An example: my system has a custom water loop for my Ryzen 5 1600X and GPU. CPU temps when idle or web browsing are often in the low to mid 30s, but at times they consistently stay above 40 with no significant change in the workload that I can detect. While it would be interesting to know what exactly causes this, it doesn't affect anything, so I haven't bothered to dive into what is likely to be a many-hour investigation. There's simply no point.