GPU Will this T1000 GPU on eBay fit & work on my Lenovo M920x Tiny PC?

gpaint45

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
There is currently an oem T1000 GPU on eBay that’s been pulled from a P360 Thinkstation. I’ll probably need a 170watt power brick to run this, but would it be compatible with my ThinkCentre M920x Core i5-8500 Tiny?

Size seems to be identical to a M920x with an AMD Radeon RX560 which was the discrete GPU offered at the time the M920x was first released.

Part # is 5H40U93054

Last edited:

Nilithium

Chassis Packer
Jul 6, 2023
There is currently an oem T1000 GPU on eBay that’s been pulled from a P360 Thinkstation. I’ll probably need a 170watt power brick to run this, but would it be compatible with my ThinkCentre M920x Core i5-8500 Tiny?

Size seems to be identical to a M920x with an AMD Radeon RX560 which was the discrete GPU offered at the time the M920x was first released.

Part # is 5H40U93054
Hi gpaint!
Eyeing the maintenance manual (https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/thinkcentre_pdf/m920x_ughmm_en.pdf), it looks like it would fit. I can confirm a stock T1000 would physically fit inside the casing, but I would have 2 concerns:
A: There is a window for air intake, but the exhaust pathway is a little vague, as the heat would just spread out in the case with the stock T1000 cooler (not the one in the maintenance manual). A good way to combat this would be to turn the system onto it's side with the CPU fan at the top, so the exhausted heat rises towards the CPU heatsink and gets blown out of the case.
By OEM model, do you mean a Lenovo unit with the special heatsink they offer?
Finally, what size power brick do you currently have?

gpaint45

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
Hey Nilithium! Thanks for the advice. I did manage to jerry-rig the T1000's radiator to fit the cpu heatsing/fan exhaust. Hacksawed one side to make it fit. Used my limited knowledge dealing with throttling using MSI Afterburner & Throttlestop. Lenovo's throttling on these Tiny machines is very aggressive @ 800Mhz, so I managed to finally overcome this by unchecking DB PROCHOT in Throttlestop! Aside from using this M920x as a 24/7 Blue Iris surveillance system, I do light gaming with the MotoGP & F1 franchises. When I play MotoGP 23 the temps on the T1000 max out at 82°C while i9-9900T is at 68°C. I have since ordered the OEM heatsink/fan for better cooling & fan noise control. BTW, I was able to snag a Lenovo 230w power brick for $20!

Last edited:

Nilithium

Chassis Packer
Jul 6, 2023
Hang on, is that window in the side panel for the CPU fan? If so, I would recommend agains the OEM cooler; it would have no intake for are being completely covered by the side panel.
If you've ordered it, I guess it's for science now!

gpaint45

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
Hang on, is that window in the side panel for the CPU fan? If so, I would recommend agains the OEM cooler; it would have no intake for are being completely covered by the side panel.
If you've ordered it, I guess it's for science now!
There is actually a fan window (as you call it) above where an addon GPU with it's own fan is situated!

Reactions: Phuncz