CPU Why NOT use a Ryzen mobile processor on mITX mobo ?

theoldwizard1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Now that I have been educated abut the differences between Ryzen desktop chips with integrated graphics and Ryzen mobile chips with integrated graphics I got to thinking (very dangerous for me).

Why wouldn't one of the major consumer mobo manufacturers make a mITX board with something like a 2800H ? It would smoke a 2400G ! Remember we are taking a mITX mobo (small desktop/media PC) so who cares about how many PCIe lane are available !!

This is the mobo that HP use in one of its "all-in-one" PCs.

I can't tell for sure from the picture, but the CPU may be soldered to the board.

Last edited:

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
It is soldered.

Problem is, you can't just buy that processor in any store, and even if you could, where would you put it? In which MBO? Someone would need to sell the whole package, ITX or STX board with the CPU already soldered in, but that way you lose flexibility since you are limited to that one CPU.

It would be better idea to just use something like this:

It's a low power 8 core ryzen in standard socket AM4 which you can put on any ITX motherboard.

Reactions: thewizzard1

theoldwizard1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Problem is, you can't just buy that processor in any store, and even if you could, where would you put it? In which MBO? Someone would need to sell the whole package, ITX or STX board with the CPU already soldered in, but that way you lose flexibility since you are limited to that one CPU.
Yes, sell me the whole board WITH the soldered in processor chip ! The "main suppliers" (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc) are dragging their feet about a SFF desktop with a "premium" AMD processor.

It would be better idea to just use something like this:

It's a low power 8 core ryzen in standard socket AM4 which you can put on any ITX motherboard.
No graphics ! For a tiny "business" desktop (not an all-in-one) or a media PC, all of your "expansion" is likely going to be done via USB (3.Xor C).

DwarfLord

Average Stuffer
Oct 13, 2018
It would smoke a 2400G
Why would it do that ?
Cpu part is slower (3.3/3.8 instead of 3.6/3.9), L1 cache is half the size of the 2400G's, tdp is 45w so the turbo is harder to maintain during high load, and the gpu part is the same (vega 11, with just a tiny boost of 50MHz).

Reactions: Valantar

TristanDuboisOLG

Average Stuffer
May 10, 2018
Besides the small demand for that sort of thing and the smaller ROI with specialized parts like that, there are issues with the socket. BGA (assumed) chips aren't made for consumer assembly.

But, there is something si,ilar to what you're asking about and luckily there is one for sale here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/sapphire-fs-fp5v-i5-7600k-nati-tray-psu-stuff-more.10415/

Saphire has started making embedded Ryzen systems with vega graphics. Check out the video this guy did. His build log/specs are in the video description too.

glow

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2019
Why mITX? If I wanted a low power Ryzen mITX, I could just buy one and put any compatible CPU into there. There is even a STX option, too. One would have to get better performance/volume than an Intel 8 core or a Ryzen 4 core APU for me to even consider it, since both choices are already matching the performance/volume of your proposal.

If it was STX with the same performance, I would still put it down as "maybe," since I value upgradability (even if rarely used, it's value is not forfeit).

So it would have to be smaller than STX with the same performance, since socketed STX boards already exist and better performance is unlikely.

theoldwizard1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Cpu part is slower (3.3/3.8 instead of 3.6/3.9), L1 cache is half the size of the 2400G's, tdp is 45w so the turbo is harder to maintain during high load, and the gpu part is the same (vega 11, with just a tiny boost of 50MHz).
I missed the fact that the 2800h has a smaller L1 cache. The 2800h is listed as supporting DD4 3200MHz vs DDR4 2933 for the 2400g. The 2400g is unlocked so maybe it can be tweaked to used the faster memory.

Thanks for setting me straight !