Discussion Why aren't there more "chambered" case designs?

eyso

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 9, 2023
The current meta is sandwich layout which effectively produces a separate zone for both the cpu and gpu, however there is no chamber/attempt to separate in a traditional pc layout, just off the top of my head you could probably get away with using cardboard to separate the gpu and cpu while still creating an airflow path...

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
Sandwich layouts will typically make use of the volume of the case more efficiently, where the design will maximize both CPU cooling and GPU size.

Especially since with the trend of GPUs being monstrosities in sizes now.

Traditional layouts, when optimized, like Dan's new C4-SFX will still be around 13L to 15L, while accommodating large sized GPUs. With that there is still the compromise of CPU cooler height.

Reactions: eyso

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
For a traditional layout, separating the CPU and the GPU sections might not be very easy, at least not for Nvidia's reference design of the 4000 series, where one of the 2 fans actually pushes air upwards towards the CPU section. Blocking this path by a cardboard really demands serious rethinking of an alternate flow path.

Reactions: rfarmer

eyso

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 9, 2023
For a traditional layout, separating the CPU and the GPU sections might not be very easy, at least not for Nvidia's reference design of the 4000 series, where one of the 2 fans actually pushes air upwards towards the CPU section. Blocking this path by a cardboard really demands serious rethinking of an alternate flow path.
Yeah the founder's edition & flow through coolers would be counter intuitive in this scenario, I was thinking about standard AIB designed gpus and deshrouding them as running the fans in exhaust may yield better performance and have a gpu chamber could amplify the effect, or possible negate the effect due to no fresh air

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
I had this build and didn't miss any separat zones, because both GPU- and CPU-heatsink pull in air from outside the case.
On a flow through I would just 'simulate a PCB' by blocking it of (if case temps become a problem)... the FE would have a problem with this because it is exclusively flow through.

You could say the 6900XT here is in a separate zone.. and any card with the fins oriented like this would be! Pulls in air from outside the case and exhausts to both sides (you can see some light passing through the black fins).

Reactions: eyso

eyso

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 9, 2023
I had this build and didn't miss any separat zones, because both GPU- and CPU-heatsink pull in air from outside the case.
On a flow through I would just 'simulate a PCB' by blocking it of (if case temps become a problem)... the FE would have a problem with this because it is exclusively flow through.

You could say the 6900XT here is in a separate zone.. and any card with the fins oriented like this would be! Pulls in air from outside the case and exhausts to both sides (you can see some light passing through the black fins).
beautiful build bro