Where do U think it goes from here

LooseNeutral

Trash Compacter
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 3, 2015
Well. here we are. and we have another Comutex under our belts. there's no use any of us brawl'n. It is what it is. BUT. lol. AMD did poke a hole in for the funz. Me personally, I haven't seen such fighting since sandy bridge..Nvid 480 vs .. I think we're in for a treat over the next few months. Enjoy the show. http://losias.net/imagehost/image/7sGG

I'm praying for ya AMD.. for you

Reactions: confusis

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
RISE FROM YOUR GWAVE!

I’ve Necro’ed this thread to ask: what predictions came true, what did you miss, and how do you feel now.

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Nice idea ! I'll quote myself:
There is much we in general don't know about what these companies can and can't handle. I'm sure many won't believe AMD is still able to survive and others believe Intel can never be taken down.
In before AMD whooping Intel after an exhausting decade.

But companies like Nvidia that only produce GPUs, albeit GPGPUs is also a thing, they are desperately looking for new markets (auto industry, mobile devices) that they can grab on to, because if hypothetically one day GPUs aren't needed anymore (look at soundcards now and 20 years ago), they will go out of business pretty fast. Their GPU division (high volume) makes the GPGPU division (low volume) possible financially, what I've come to understand
A safe bet but I was correct that Nvidia was putting a lot of effort into other markets, although automotive and enterprise take most of their attention. Geforce Now was an attempt at breaking into similar markets.

Intel is also battling to get a grip on the mobile market, because the decline in PCs sold each quarter hits them hard, too. The reason why Intel hasn't been giving us serious performance improvements each CPU generation is not because they can't or won't, but because they can keep margins high.
Intel is still fighting most of its fight on mobile/laptop but had to finally make quad cores main stream a few years later.

At the moment, one of the only companies that seems has nowhere to go but up, is companies like Apple and Samsung. With so many markets they both have, with the talent and momentum to be a market leader in just a few years, they seem unstoppable. It's no coincidence that Toshiba, Sony, HP, Dell, Samsung and many others have chosen very different directions, mayor cutbacks or even complete fire-sales for their PC segment.
Samsung has stalled quite a bit and even Apple's growth is not where I'd expect it to be. I'm very vague so #care.

But I don't fear the gaming or enthusiast PC is in danger, PC gaming is better than ever and has been growing a lot in the past few years.
Oh how wrong I was on the latter. With Blizzard being a mere shell of its former self, Cyberpunk 2077 being a cop-out and so many games selling out for shortlived mainstream appeal. While CoVid-19 has caused more gaming PCs being sold, I wasn't predicting that :)