When liquid metal still isn't enough... Next phase: Direct die contact

Corruptedfile

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
Decided to go all out with my LP53 cooler and solder weld a 3mm thick copper shim, since I had issues with clearence and clearing the chokes & caps. I was able to get it tested with power, but im still having trouble making sure I have the right amount of pressure to get it to post. Once I get that solved ill post temps with my 6600k @ 5Ghz, but I do plan on upgrading once the 10th gens come out so hopefully this LP53 can take on the extra threads :D

https://photos.app.******/1agsagD3jn8d7XPE8

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
i... sorry but how is that different from reusing the IHS...? ._.
Normally, it's Die->Thermal Interface->Copper (IHS)->Thermal Interface 2->Copper (heatsink)
One layer (Thermal Interface 2) has been replaced with tin, which is a much better thermal conductor, and fills gaps at least as well.

Corruptedfile

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
Im reducing the heat transfer loss by using actual tin for better heat dissipation then paste. Since paste is a pretty terrible way of getting the heat away from the die, its only really there for the small micro gaps that it needs to fill.

KepKe

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2017
Wouldn't it have been much better using a Direct-To-Die adapter/frame instead of doing this? I mean the thing where you can mount a chopped CPU while maintaining cooler compatibility safely.