Power Supply Using a reduntant server PSU. Anyone have experience with this?

Hector

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 28, 2019
I have a local offer for a VERY cheap PLATINUM 750w server power supply. It is a redundant Dell E750E-S1.
Two observations:

1) It does not have normal connectors but a "gold finger", like a pci connection. I know these go to a "breakout board". If I get the correct one, will I be able to use it normally?

2) The fan. I know these are LOUD AF. But maybe I can mod a couple of Noctuas in it? Ive also read about other "Maglev" fans availible on Mauser that might work even better.

Please refrain from suggesting getting another PSU, it is not the point of this post. THIS kind of power supply are easy to get in my country. SFX and Flex ATX are nonexistant. Import only.

I plan to use it with a Ryzen 3900x and a RTX 2070 Super (and upcoming RTX 3000).

This is the PSU in question:

AyMD20

Efficiency Noob
Aug 14, 2020
What kind of case are you using? I don't know of any cases that fit this type of power supply natively. They are both wider and longer than FlexATX, and won't fit in an SFX spot without some modifications.

Hector

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 28, 2019
What kind of case are you using? I don't know of any cases that fit this type of power supply natively. They are both wider and longer than FlexATX, and won't fit in an SFX spot without some modifications.
At the moment an MATX case. Im building a custom case for my definitive PC. Still havent decided on final form.

Lux

Cable Smoosher
Aug 8, 2020
I have also been doing research into server PSU's for small form factor builds

The best places I've found for info about these kinds of power supplies in the RC Groups forums. This community often modify server PSU's for charging high-capacity Lithium batteries. You might be able to find a pin-out diagram here.

The other place I've seen server PSU's being used is for GPU mining. Common enough that companies like Parallel Miner now sell breakout boards for running GPU's. Here is the published list of units they support.

If you decide to go this route, be aware that most server PSU's only have a 12v rail. Meaning, if you need to run any devices on 5v or 3.3v you'll need a separate step-down converter. 5v and 3.3v are mostly legacy voltages at this point so it's not a huge issue, just something to be aware of when picking parts.

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
@Lux already answered most of the critical points and I can support those answers as I have come to the same conclusions for using a server PSU in my boombox project.

2) The fan. I know these are LOUD AF. But maybe I can mod a couple of Noctuas in it? Ive also read about other "Maglev" fans availible on Mauser that might work even better.
These PSUs are expecting a certain amount of air going through. I wouldn't recommend using 40mm low pressure fans. I've used an 80 or 92mm fan in mine attached to a hole in the top and blocked off the end with the PCB connector, so air is forced through to the rear.