Power Supply Looking for anyone who has modded PSU for more wattage

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 17, 2018
So I've got a InWin BQ656T with the 150W 80+ Bronze PSU. The PSU is this model (Link to InWin site). Now previously I had a 2200G that was OC'd to the pure limit of the PSU, but after a tragic event I'm going to be replacing hardware. I want to get a 2400G and overclock it more, but I'm certain that I'm going to hit a PSU bottleneck before I get very far. What I'm curious is if anyone has experience with modding PSUs to get more wattage out of them, if it's possible at all. I've seen people talk about modding the Dell laptop bricks and stuff like that, so I'm just curious to see what the possibilities are. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: cleveland

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
If you get more wattage thru your modded PSU, I would think that you could literally be playing with fire. Suck it up and get a higher capacity PSU and sleep well at night.

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
I ran my 2400G @ 4GHz @ 1.375 vcore in the choppin' and my kill-a-watt was only reading 130ish watts under gaming load (fortnite) -

Reactions: Phuncz

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
One thing I notice if you read the back specs, most of the time the input are rated higher than the output.

Input is the AC side, i.e 100/240V @2A, while DC side is the output i.e 19V @5A

That tells me we have discrepancy (read: modding chance in component ratings' difference). The brick can withstand ~500W input but can't output more than 90W.

So if you know where and what IC or Mosfet to change, up the heatsinks etc add active cooling that might be where to start.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Seriously, it is good to review one's Home Insurance Policy to check on its Fire Insurance part. I wonder if a fire being caused by this kind modding is covered.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
One thing I notice if you read the back specs, most of the time the input are rated higher than the output.

Input is the AC side, i.e 100/240V @2A, while DC side is the output i.e 19V @5A

That tells me we have discrepancy (read: modding chance in component ratings' difference). The brick can withstand ~500W input but can't output more than 90W.

So if you know where and what IC or Mosfet to change, up the heatsinks etc add active cooling that might be where to start.

What you reading is maximum input current rating. Meaning it is likely fused for max 2A.

You can't just change the mosfet and be done with it. You will also need to reprogram the microcontroller. Any psu worth modding has over current protection that needs to properly programmed for your use.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Aren't there generic switch mode ICs that are programmed with resistors outside? As long as you have the datasheet...

But yeah like I said... better not.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Aren't there generic switch mode ICs that are programmed with resistors outside? As long as you have the datasheet...

But yeah like I said... better not.

yup. But the nice ones... requires actual programming. They come with: short protection, over voltage protection, over temp, over load.

Reactions: Choidebu

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Lately I think rather modding a brick - which comes with its risks, opening up a flex atx or an sfx psu, modding them to use pdcb to save space sounds like a more sensible mod. We're not changing its components' ratings, just moving things around to suit our case (and use case).

I mean, at ~450W they are already a very power-space efficient choice.