Cooling Ultra low profile LGA 1700 coolers for Gen7 Mod

Gingerbeer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2019
I was looking at building a beast SFF NAS/Home server, so I've been hacking up an old Gen7 microserver chassis to accommodate an ITX board. An LGA1700 i5-12450H MoDT board. I also have a 6x2.5" to 5.25" bay adapter from IcyDock which will boost the drive bays to ten, plus the three m.2 slots on the mobo. I have around 32TB of SATA SSDs to fill the six 2.5" bays and another 32TB of 3.5" HDDs for the four main drive bays.

I've finally got the IO shield cut out and modded the mobo tray with standoffs so everything lines up (including one of the PCI slots on the chassis). I mean, I still have a bunch of front IO wiring to sort out but the meat of the work is done...

...apart from one tiny little issue:

The max height from the IHS to the underside of the main 3.5" drive cage is ~30mm, maybe a smidge under - I can't get my calipers in there to confirm. Obviously, the vast majority of first pick LP coolers can barely manage that without a fan attached. I already have an IS-30 winging it's way to me, but I have serious doubts, so I was looking at alternatives. I know I could just spring for a N305 NAS board with a tiny cooler already fitted (I have the N100 variant in my other NAS right now), but I have this MoDT board on hand and I want to make use of it. Yes, it can boost up to 95W but I planned to peg it to around 65W or under.

There are a few Akasa LP coolers that claim to handle up to 65W but they are 27-30mm tall, like the IS-30, so they'll likely be starved of airflow and maybe noisy as a result.

I have seen the Silverstone NT07-1700, which is 22mm tall, but I can't find any info on it's power rating, not even on Silverstone's own product page. I found a YT video of a guy testing an i3 12100 but the thermal interface was a beaten up graphite sheet, so his conclusions are questionable .

Does anyone have any experience with this cooler or can you recommend something similar?

Cheers all

Last edited:

Sicaris

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 6, 2016
Not sure what availability is like these days but the thermaltake engine 27 and 17 could fit the bill. I think there's a test of one of them around here somewhere, if I remember correctly it was fine for the size.

Reactions: Gingerbeer

Gingerbeer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2019
The 17 is rated for 35W so it might struggle. The 27 looks more promising - I'll add it to the list, thanks.