GPU UHD on Thin Mini ITX?

Cyber Locc

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
Hey guys does anyone know of a Thin Mini ITX board that has the hardware needed to play UHD blurays?

So HDMI 2.0a, Kaby lake H CPU, SGX, and all that good stuff?

Also is there any slot loaded UHD drives yet?

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Apr 20, 2018
That's something I've been keeping an eye on too. Kaby Lake and even Coffee Lake only have HDMI 1.4 support in their iGPUs, however that is already enough for UHD. It's the 60Hz part for which you need extended support, or, like some ITX boards and the NUCs do it, an on-board chip to convert the DP signal to HDMI 2.0.

But all current 1151 Thin-mini boards (with DVI or DP) will already do UHD resolution to a display that supports it. I don't know anything about Bluray though, if that affects it in any way, perhaps HDCP 2.2 is needed and for that you do need HDMI 2.0a I believe. Your solution in that case would be a $30 "DP -> HDMI active converter", made by Club 3D. I forget if I'm allowed to link to shopping pages, so, I'll just let you google/amazon that manually.

maeslin

Efficiency Noob
New User
Apr 14, 2018
AFAIK and according to this thread, the AM4 mini-itx boards, when matched with a Raven Ridge APU (2200G, 2400G) are HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compatible, so they should handle UHD content just fine.

Cyber Locc

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
That's something I've been keeping an eye on too. Kaby Lake and even Coffee Lake only have HDMI 1.4 support in their iGPUs, however that is already enough for UHD. It's the 60Hz part for which you need extended support, or, like some ITX boards and the NUCs do it, an on-board chip to convert the DP signal to HDMI 2.0.

But all current 1151 Thin-mini boards (with DVI or DP) will already do UHD resolution to a display that supports it. I don't know anything about Bluray though, if that affects it in any way, perhaps HDCP 2.2 is needed and for that you do need HDMI 2.0a I believe. Your solution in that case would be a $30 "DP -> HDMI active converter", made by Club 3D. I forget if I'm allowed to link to shopping pages, so, I'll just let you google/amazon that manually.

There is as you said ITX board that offer HDMI 2.0a via a Display port adapter chip. They will play UHD, but no thin minis that I can find :(.

The adapter doesn't work, as there is some magic required :(.

To play UHD on PC you need.
AACS 2.0
HDMI 2.0a
DHCP 2.2

All of which have to be enabled on the driver for the GPU (Only exists with Intel 630+ GPUs)

Also you have to have SGX Support on the chip and the board.

AFAIK and according to this thread, the AM4 mini-itx boards, when matched with a Raven Ridge APU (2200G, 2400G) are HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compatible, so they should handle UHD content just fine.

As of this moment, UHD will never be able to be played on Ryzen. It requires SGX, which is Intel properitary. Intel makes the HDCP 2.2, so they kind of have free game to do stuff like that. Unless they change the UHD standards or Intel changes its mind, and drops the SGX (unlikely) you will never be able to have native UHD playback on Ryzen.

You can do that decrypt/play stuff, however that isn't going to work for every movie, and it involves hacking the Copyright Protection of the disc.

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Apr 20, 2018
To be precise, UHD --Bluray--. AMD processors can of course play any UHD you happen to have sitting around in an MKV or whatever.

AMD have also said that they will be releasing PlayReady 3.0 drivers later this year in order to enable UHD HDR in Netflix.

Reactions: ColorZepppelin

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Nvidia GT1030 works fine on my thin-ITX Q87T with a 90° riser. It provides HDMI 2.0 and stays thin with the riser. No stability issue and do not need powered riser.

I use a Zotac low profile single slot one with a 35w i7-4785T (iGPU disabled so it draws only 25w) and powers the rig with a 90W Dell power brick.

Reactions: jØrd

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network