Trade rules

lozza_c

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 26, 2020
I'm mindful of the forum rules, but how open is the interpretation of 'trade'?

I've saved some machines at work from going to landfill and have some parts going spare; I'm happy to give them away but not sure if this would (broadly) be defined as 'trade'?

Reactions: Arboreal

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
As a forum member who's been here some years but with no responsibility or involvement with management of the site, I couldn't see what you're suggesting as contravening any of the trading rules as linked.

I am wholeheartedly in support of rescuing usable stuff from landfill, and have done so on a number of occasions. The best ever was rescuing a load of PCs / Monitors / accessories out of a skip from a company that was having office renovations done.
I got permission first and thankfully spotted it all before the building waste was put in with it...

I'm sure a mod will be along soon enough to give you a definitive answer.

lozza_c

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 26, 2020
Thank you - my initial thought was as I wouldn't be asking anything in return it's not strictly within a dictionary definition of trade, but I'm conscious of the overarching spirit of trade restrictions here (for good reason) and good community management.

It's amazing what some people throw out. It's actually quite fortuitous as I've been wanting to build a homeserver for a while now! Plus it's saved me shelling out £200+ on a U-NAS. It's crazy that I could throw a GPU into the Optiplex destined for the bin and have a nearly free gaming rig.

I abhor waste as well, so any useful gubbins I can get into the hands of people who want them I'm all for. Plus I very much beleive in simple acts of kindness.

Reactions: Arboreal

lozza_c

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 26, 2020
You're in the Uk as you're quoting £?
Free home server? Noice
Yup I'm UK. Work have taken the HDDs out (GDPR etc) so just have to find some decent NAS drives (WD Reds maybe?) and I'm set. Oh and decide on a distro / start learning some Linux!

@lozza_c There isn't an easy way for us to manually bypass the checks in place for Trade, so have a free month of Bronze Subscription in recognition of your generosity!

(So you can post thread(s) in trade now)
Woo thank you! I'll crack the lids on 'em this week and find out what lurks within...

Reactions: rfarmer