Advice TR-40/XL-ATX Airplane Carry-on Build.

vfe

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
Thanks @nubbins for the insight and experience here. That gives me a lot of knowledge, I went with the 1535 specifically when I ordered. When I formally start gonna make a new build log for the project :)

@morj That was definitely on the table. The thing I'm most worried about though and reason I want it as a carryon to begin with is work-continuity. This is going to be my system for working and a concern I have is lost luggage/delayed luggage. It's rare but it does happen, and being stuck in a foreign country without a machine sufficient to do my work for weeks would be a bad time.
Part of why I'm not super price sensitive, fucking this up will cost me thousands of dollars. Renting an AWS EC-2 instance in a pinch is an option, but a machine equivalent to this one on EC2 runs 8-20k a month to "rent".

An alternative is to do what you're suggesting but include radiator space in the original build, it's better that I can work in a reduced capacity than not at all or paying amazon $20-$30 an hour.

That's my thought if the pelican build ends up not being practical for any reason.

Reactions: nubbins and morj

nubbins

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2021
Thanks @nubbins for the insight and experience here. That gives me a lot of knowledge, I went with the 1535 specifically when I ordered. When I formally start gonna make a new build log for the project :)

Sorry, I should've read further back where you said you were flying Delta. No problems with size there. 1535 seems well reviewed. Wheels and handle seem to be much more integrated into the case design than though, might not be feasible to take it off to save a few pounds a la 1510, lest the case not rest properly anymore without it.

Standard advice back then was to pack a power cord in case they want to see it turn on and boot, but usually never happens. The desktop always has to come out of the Pelican to go through the scanner, so if the 1535 *IS* the desktop, you might spend some time doing some showing and explaining haha. That power cord could actually come in handy.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

vfe

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
Standard advice back then was to pack a power cord in case they want to see it turn on and boot, but usually never happens.

Ugh. That could be a challenge. It won't be in a bootable state while in transit due to lack of fluids.

nubbins

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2021
Ugh. That could be a challenge. It won't be in a bootable state while in transit due to lack of fluids.

Would this possibly be worth a look? I know, TSA is TSA, but if you really built a loop out of the 1535, I'd say that maybe warrants at least a little attention on the airport, airline or TSA's part? I do vaguely remember someone having called the airport before flying and asking them what they would have to bring for security.

Passenger Support | Transportation Security Administration (tsa.gov)

I and a few other people I've seen on the interwebs erred a bit much on the side of caution by preferring to stick with air coolers, but I think you'll find quite a few people nowadays who've flown with AIOs without incident. Perhaps they'll extend a courtesy to a custom loop under the banner of "watercooling that would be inconvenient to f*** with"?