Header image courtesy of ASUS – the upcoming ROG STRIX Z7890-I GAMING WIFI ALL CAPS EDITION*
With the imminent release of CPUs and boards based on Intel’s LAG1851 socket, (nearly) every cooler manufacturer has pumped out a press release announcing that all their LGA1700 compatible coolers can work on the new socket. Instead of posting all these, we’ve decided to just post a TLDR.
No surprise really though – Intel’s LGA1851 carries over the mounting hole locations and IHS height from LGA1700 – meaning that aside from the possibility of weird dimensional conflicts in some edge cases, all LAG1700 coolers will work with the new boards. This is a positive thing – Intel is well known for changing their cooler compatibility more frequently than their competitor! The only major change is an extra 151 pins to be wary of when installing the CPU.

UPDATE: Community member...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

milesvw

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 20, 2022
Imagine the brackets will be down to $3 like the 1700 ones soon enough. Also it looks like you could file the hole a little longer and keep using the 1700 frames? 🤷🏼‍♂️.

I use a contact frame on every single LGA1700 build. Even 35w TDP. Just a good idea.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Imagine the brackets will be down to $3 like the 1700 ones soon enough. Also it looks like you could file the hole a little longer and keep using the 1700 frames? 🤷🏼‍♂️.

I use a contact frame on every single LGA1700 build. Even 35w TDP. Just a good idea.
If you watch der8auer's latest video about Arrow Lake he talks about contact frames and shows that they moved the socket position slightly so the 1700 contact frames won't work on the 1851 socket.

Reactions: Phuncz