CPU Thoughts on the i7 6700T?

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 18, 2017
anyone using these CPUs?

In late 2015, I purchased a i7-6700T from an source in Italy as they were not available in the US at that time. Anyway I was very pleased with the CPU and ran it in several of my project systems. However I killed the CPU and two or three motherboards while working on a ASUS H110S1 Mini STX that I was putting into an Apple G4 Cube hack. Under Apple OS X the CPU power management worked well. Anyway R.I.P.

Time passes and I now own a i7-7700T which is even a better performer and it is living in my NFC S4 Mini. Fully buttoned up, this system passes my standard one hour Prime95 Thermal Torture Test.

Neil

Reactions: Thehack and zovc

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
What are you planning to use the chip for? If you're playing mostly GPU bound games you'll probably be fine (I've found performance to be perfectly adequate on the 4690T I run in my daily driver). If you're rendering and crunching large amounts of data, I might suggest trying to underclock a K chip to an acceptable power draw instead. At least that way if you don't get the performance you want, at least you have options.

Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Hey Neil, have you done any gaming on the 7700T (or even the 6700T)? It kind of sounds like it might be in a productivity/workstation type machine.

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
In late 2015, I purchased a i7-6700T from an source in Italy as they were not available in the US at that time. Anyway I was very pleased with the CPU and ran it in several of my project systems. However I killed the CPU and two or three motherboards while working on a ASUS H110S1 Mini STX that I was putting into an Apple G4 Cube hack. Under Apple OS X the CPU power management worked well. Anyway R.I.P.

Time passes and I now own a i7-7700T which is even a better performer and it is living in my NFC S4 Mini. Fully buttoned up, this system passes my standard one hour Prime95 Thermal Torture Test.

Neil
you never ran FCPX on it did you?

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
I equipped my Zotac SN970 with a 6700t, and it's fantastically fast, but I'm coming from high-end mobile i7 processors with a bit less juice. Feels like desktop, but most of my i7QMs did as well.