Accessory Thin MITX LVDS to LCD

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
After seeing how many acronyms I can fit into a title, I'm hoping one of you fine folks will give me some advise.

I recently acquired a door camera which I broke within 5 minutes of opening. I took it apart this morning to find it contains a small 3.5" screen. (same as the LCD Kodak V1073 digital camera)

My day to day desktop uses a thin-itx board, which has a LVDS connector.

I'm hoping I could use a something like this, to convert LVDS to the LCD ribbon:

This would give me a small second screen running off the motherboard.

Anyone had any experience with this?

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
I sort of have, you are going to have to find a suitable driver which probably doesn't exist and if it does it is somewhere in China in Chinese. In the past I would buy the screens then spend some considerable time trying to resolve the issues, if you purchase carefully you can usually find a suitable driver (because the screen will have been used for lots of things and will have some usable generic drivers. So I would go on forums and ask people for recommendations, as you know there are some very wise people out there.

Most of my experience is with single board computers (things like the Raspberry Pi) but I've also x86-64 fitting the screens to PC cases a couple of times.

Today, because I have stage 4 cancer, I would buy a screen that I know will not cause me problems, I'll end up paying a bit more (three times more in worst case) but the savings aren't massive anyway. For example I paid just over £20 for a Chinese 'go find a driver' versus a British import that had all issues resolved with at least one solid driver for £45. It depends on how you value your time.

The easiest way, since your MB almost certainly has lots of video i/o is to use the multi-screen function, so say your main monitor is running on HDMI and the 7" screen is using the VGA. You can get more functionality by pairing it with a Pi Zero (other boards available but the Pi 0 is made just down the road from me), there will be some details on that on the web. Something like a Pi Zero will run happily of a MB USB 2 header.

See what others have to say, but if it was me and I wanted a successful project end I'd spend a bit more for the easy life- that doesn't mean you can't play around with that screen but not knowing what it is, what connectivity it has (some have everything, you just have to get the soldering iron out and attach sockets, some are missing what you need), I couldn't really add more.

One thing, that ribbon cable is very sensitive, if you touch the metal ends you can ruin the screen from static- I'm not overplaying that, this seems to be one case where static is a real and present danger and I've done it three times.

Edit To Add. Do your homework, don’t just buy a screen that says it works with a Pi because the Pi has a couple of Video I/O options and your motherboard will only share one of them (HDMI) often enough. If you are confident with a soldering iron you can add VGA to a Pi Zero, Pi Zero then ‘talks’ to the PC over a network. A Pi Zero with a VGA socket on it is a sight to behold- easier with the Pi3+.

The Pi is easy to get in the UK (because as I say some are made here, in the USA you might need to chose another SBC, you tend to have more choice (not always quality) at better prices in the USA. That said the Pi has a massive supportive development community so it is easier to work with and you don’t need a powerful SBC to run a small screen.

Just did a google and if it is the same screen as the Kodak then this person/company might be able to advise;

dhcameras

RongJuan Xie

3540 S Normal Ave

60609 Chicago, IL

United States

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362569000374

They repair/fit them so they will have a full spec sheet I’m sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goatee

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
Awesome, thank you for the really detailed feedback. I lovea bit of tinkering but I think I will give this a miss. Seem like alot of hassle for minimal gain.

Thanks again!