Prototype "The Tick" - 6.45L Backpack PC

leecyrille

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Apr 17, 2019
"The Tick"
6.45 Liter 2080ti/9600k Custom Case
68x312x304mm (2.68x12.28x11.97 inches)

Right now the edge of mesh snags on backpack a bit. If anyone has ideas for dealing with that in the design let me know! I plan to build a second revision with lessons learned.

I've been working on this for a little while. I work 7 days on/off out of town (fly 52 times a year) and stay in a work camp (similar to a small dorm). I think this doubles the performance of my 1070 laptop for a similar price, and I am excited for cheaper upgrades. I flew with it for the first time last week, and had no issues with security.

I have'nt seen any thermal limiting with GPU at 112% power (max for EVGA black). The CPU gets max stock boost(4.4Ghz), but I don't think I can push much further with the AR11 cooler. Superposition benchmarks look identical with the mesh cover on or off, so I am pretty happy with the performance. The perforated steel is 40% open I believe.

The GPU is supported by a piece of high density foam underneath, and then has limited travel by being close to the mesh.

I am waiting on a grommet for where the power cord passes through the hole. I cut the cord, passed it through, and installed a cord end. I am a little low on space for a C14 connector.

I hope to improve the design, so if anyone has ideas I would appreciate whatever you will give me!

CPUIntel 9600k
CPU CoolerSilverstone AR11 (47mm)
MotherboardGigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI
MemoryPatriot Viper Gaming RGB Series 3200MHz 16GB Kit - Black
StorageADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 2280
Video CardEVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition
CaseCustom 6.4L (18 gauge steel lower, 22 gauge perforated upper)
Power SupplyCorsair SF Series, SF600, SFX Form Factor
MonitorG-STORY 17.3 Inch 120Hz 1080P Portable Monitor

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018
Nice work getting an sfx PSU in there and under 7L. You are probably going to have to make a new shroud if you don't want it to snag or atleast some rubber trim but the might mess with the mounting of the shroud

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Really nice and clean, congrats! :thumb:

Right now the edge of mesh snags on backpack a bit. If anyone has ideas for dealing with that in the design let me know! I plan to build a second revision with lessons learned.
As mentionned by @AURMEND, something like this maybe, but I don't know how the bends on the 2 right angles of you case will look...

I am waiting on a grommet for where the power cord passes through the hole. I cut the cord, passed it through, and installed a cord end. I am a little low on space for a C14 connector.
Isn't there space enough under the GPU for a C14?

rapidshrub

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
Looks good dude! But I've gotta say that I'm disgusted by the name because I pull ticks off myself all day at work.

I can't think of any way to keep the mesh panel from snagging things short of redesigning the frame, green part, to allow the mesh to sit inside of it rather than on top.

duniek

Average Stuffer
Sep 21, 2017
short (5cm?) custom pci-e 8pin cables will be great for it, i am making it them for cheap

leecyrille

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Apr 17, 2019
short (5cm?) custom pci-e 8pin cables will be great for it, i am making it them for cheap
that would be great. I wanted to make sure it could be done with normal cables first, but I am thinking of doing some with #18 silicone wire so it is super bendy. It would make getting the CPU power much cleaner especially. Do you have a website?

leecyrille

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Apr 17, 2019
Really nice and clean, congrats! :thumb:

As mentionned by @AURMEND, something like this maybe, but I don't know how the bends on the 2 right angles of you case will look...

Isn't there space enough under the GPU for a C14?
Not quite, there is around 18mm from the inside floor to the GPU bracket. Any suggestions for another connector? A C6 would fit, but it's not enough ampacity.