Other The quest to build the smallest RTX 30xx gaming rig

Battousai1

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 13, 2021
Hi guys, I dont know if there is already someone who was able to build a sub-4L ITX gaming rig with an RTX 30xx using off-the-shelf parts.

sub-4L cases are the likes of the Velka 3 or K39 ITX casing with Flex PSUs.

I have made some research and found that the following are the current limitations in building such small build:

1. Power delivery, at the moment I can only find 500watts Flex PSUs. Although some people say I can run a Ryzen 5 3600+3060 Ti with a 400watts Flex PSU but I will be pushing it to the limits when gaming.

2. Size of an RTX 30xx card, at the moment I cannot find any RTX 30xx cards that are >180mm in length, however, I manage to find one card, the PNY 3060 Ti, it has a small board underneath it and if I want to fit it into the case i will need to deshroud it and modify the cooler.

Any thoughts or suggestions regarding this endeavor?

Thanks for any replies. :)

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Palit 3060 StormX is 17cm long.

Gainward 3060 Pegasus looks like is 17cm as well.

There is Enhance 600W 7660B Flex PSU for consideration.

Or, there is this 700W custom modded ENP-7760, which might be an overkill for a 3060/Ti and Ryzen 5 3600

Last edited:

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Also can be bought on Amazon if you don't want to buy it on TaoBao

Battousai1

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 13, 2021
Thanks guys for the replies. Should I move this thread to the Pre-built section or is this the correct section?

Also, regarding those Flex PSUs do you think 400watts will work? I do have a 500watts Flex PSU but it is a 2nd-hand one and I am reluctant to use it but will still consider it.

Battousai1

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 13, 2021
Also can be bought on Amazon if you don't want to buy it on TaoBao
Is Enhance a well-established reputable brand for PSU's? My go-to PSU brand has always been Seasonic but they dont make Flex PSUs.

My Flex PSUs here are all Delta and Delta seems like a manufacturer mostly for the industrial sector which is ok.

D

Deleted member 23607

Palit 3060 StormX is 17cm long.

Gainward 3060 Pegasus looks like is 17cm as well.

Or, there is this 700W custom modded ENP-7760, which might be an overkill for a 3060/Ti and Ryzen 5 3600

Apparently the 700W ENP-7"7"60B is a sham. It has the same internals as the original but the seller switched out a few capacitors.

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Is Enhance a well-established reputable brand for PSU's? My go-to PSU brand has always been Seasonic but they dont make Flex PSUs.

My Flex PSUs here are all Delta and Delta seems like a manufacturer mostly for the industrial sector which is ok.
A lot of people use Enhance for their flexATX, since it's one of the only options, and it's pretty good.

If you want to get a black flexATX, get this one (although it's out of stock right now):

This flexATX is also black, but it's definitely overkill for what you're using:
You can also configure it with a Noctua fan, so you don't have to do the fan swap yourself!

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018

Enhance is a fairly established brand. It is OEM for some of Cooler Master;s and Silverstone's series. They, of course, have their own products like this flex 1U PSUs.
As said above, it is OK. Search the net for many users' experience. The only 'worry' is that the stock fan might get noisy when loaded. But this is when you compared it with SFX PSU's fan noise. If noise is important, better mod it with a Noctua fan.

D

Deleted member 23607

Would you show the link that shows the internals of the original?
Only pic I could find of the internals:
I do not have the thread I read archived; to the best of my memory it's something around the lines of "CAT 7760B" on Reddit.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Only pic I could find of the internals:
I do not have the thread I read archived; to the best of my memory it's something around the lines of "CAT 7760B" on Reddit.
So, the seller sells a modded version of an original 7760B by replacing a few caps. Is this what you meant?
And, how is this a sham? Sorry, I do not get what you meant.

AndyWags

Chassis Packer
Dec 2, 2019
I'll try and make this easy for you. On the Velkase website, you can get the Velka 3 and the modded black enhance enp 7660b flex atx power supply. You pay more but trust me. After my experience of getting one off of another supplier. Go with Velkase. I have queried many things about the case and he always been useful. As for the graphics card as you will have seen from CES this week. The 3060 will be the first card under the 175mm length limit. I will be buying one next month when they release. As for the processor and cooling you will basically want to go for the Noctua l9 Chromax. Refer to noctuas website to find out about the processors limits. You are looking for 65w tdp but as a guy from Noctua once told me 'Bigger coolers offer better clock speeds, but not better temperatures. This is how modern cpus work, they just run hot and at max.' so an example that proves the point is a 9700k that would run on an l9. However, I went for a 5600x and the l9a with a strix b550i board. The other thing that people don't talk about is the heat that builds up around the cooler. You will want to invest in a couple of 40mm fans above where the front m.2 slot is as well as a 25mm fan in the top left.

Reactions: larkmaj
D

Deleted member 23607

So, the seller sells a modded version of an original 7760B by replacing a few caps. Is this what you meant?
And, how is this a sham? Sorry, I do not get what you meant.

Is not able to pull 700W, unlike the name implies.

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
My opinion:

Get the Velka 3 because you can add a black 600W flexATX for all your powering needs. It's only $259.99 for the riser cable, case, and PSU, which is quite a good deal. The black 600W flexATX is normally $139.99, but you can get it for just $100 with the bundle. The riser cable should cost around $30, so the case is only around $129.99?!? Also, Velka 3 is a great case for your build. You can also buy a couple of mini fans to cool the case, and the case can comfortably cool a 3600. I don't know about a 5600x, though. That'll probably run quite a bit hotter.

Last edited:

AndyWags

Chassis Packer
Dec 2, 2019
My opinion:

Get the Velka 3 because you can add a black 600W flexATX for all your powering needs. It's only $259.99 for the riser cable, case, and PSU, which is quite a good deal. The black 600W flexATX is normally $139.99, but you can get it for just $100 with the bundle. The riser cable should cost around $30, so the case is only around $129.99?!? Also, Velka 3 is a great case for your build. You can also buy a couple of mini fans to cool the case, and the case can comfortably cool a 3600. I don't know about a 5600x, though. That'll probably run quite a bit hotter.
I'm running a 5600x with a Noctua l9a and full load for me is 84 degrees celsius. But average peak is 81.

Battousai1

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 13, 2021
Hi guys, I would like to update this thread as I have been replying to another thread with my updates that is supposed to be posted here for accuracy, so this is the summary:

I have found a really good GPU for the my goal that might fit into the K39 or Velka case, but this will need some modification, either modify the case or the cooling of the GPU.

This is the PNY 3060 Ti.

My case can fit a maximum GPU size of 180mm in length and 43mm in thickness.

Although this GPU will not fit the case as is because the heatsink extends more than 180mm. However, the surprising part is that the board of the GPU is unbelievably small and this can perfectly fit into the case. This is what it looks like below.

I do have some options on how to fit this card into the case. First option would be to modify the case but that would make it larger. Second option is to look for an aftermarket cooler that is smaller than the stock cooler be it an HSF or a liquid cooling solution. The last option would be to modify the heatsink but I would not want to do it as I do not want to damage the stock cooling in case I need to use it again.

My question is more on my second option, is there an aftermarket cooling solution that is so compact that it can fit mini-ITX casing, I am thinking of a liquid cooling solution.

Thank you in advance for the reply.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Hi guys, I would like to update this thread as I have been replying to another thread with my updates that is supposed to be posted here for accuracy, so this is the summary:

I have found a really good GPU for the my goal that might fit into the K39 or Velka case, but this will need some modification, either modify the case or the cooling of the GPU.

This is the PNY 3060 Ti.

My case can fit a maximum GPU size of 180mm in length and 43mm in thickness.

Although this GPU will not fit the case as is because the heatsink extends more than 180mm. However, the surprising part is that the board of the GPU is unbelievably small and this can perfectly fit into the case. This is what it looks like below.

I do have some options on how to fit this card into the case. First option would be to modify the case but that would make it larger. Second option is to look for an aftermarket cooler that is smaller than the stock cooler be it an HSF or a liquid cooling solution. The last option would be to modify the heatsink but I would not want to do it as I do not want to damage the stock cooling in case I need to use it again.

My question is more on my second option, is there an aftermarket cooling solution that is so compact that it can fit mini-ITX casing, I am thinking of a liquid cooling solution.

Thank you in advance for the reply.

Your 180mm class limit is problematic. A quick check and none of the EK or Alphacool or Corsair or Bitspower waterblocks for Ampere are that small, all are at least 200mm. Everyone only makes x070 and up blocks....the low-end cards never have aftermarket waterblocks, because a $200 block for a card that is $300 is a non-sellable item.

Ampere sucks WRT power/heat and volumetric efficiency. A Velka 5 build should be doable, but a Velka3 is sadly problematic.