News The new Playstation 5 is a 10.5 litre console

According to Sony, the PS5 is approximately 390mm (15.4 inches) tall, 260mm (10.24 inches) deep and 104mm (4.09 inches) wide, making it the single biggest game console you’ve probably ever heard of. (I think that makes it a 10.5-liter case, in PC terms.) The model without the disc drive? Same story, just 12 millimeters slimmer.
- The Verge

So the next generation consoles are getting bigger and bigger while SFF PC has more and more compact choices. We SFF folks can sleep better at night knowing we can easily build a more performance dense machine with internal PSU even. This is assuming you are able to grab a 3000 series Nvidia card or the upcoming Big Navi of course.

Look at this THICC boi Source

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
When I first saw the PS5 I went from laughing at the horrible design to the sad realization that one will be in my living room ruining the look of my home theater.

Glint

Master Lurker
Jul 20, 2018
When I first saw the PS5 I went from laughing at the horrible design to the sad realization that one will be in my living room ruining the look of my home theater.

Sounds like the perfect opportunity for a case mod or to transplant the internals of the PS5 into a new case. Looking forward to the build thread! ??

Reactions: Soul_Est

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Whoa I can't believe it's so big, even bigger than P-ATX, and for what, 45W cpu and (maybe) 150-200W gpu? Oh and in APU form so you need even less space.

Really weird considering how optimized previous consoles were.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Whoa I can't believe it's so big, even bigger than P-ATX, and for what, 45W cpu and (maybe) 150-200W gpu? Oh and in APU form so you need even less space.

Guess we'll see what happens with the One or Slim design?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

My guess is that Sony got caught out by MS's Xbox hardware, and were deep enough into silicon design at that point that they had no choice but to push clocks much higher than originally planned to stay competitive, thus dramatically increasing the power draw and need for cooling. On the other hand the XSX is reportedly "whisper quiet" (at least while playing XOX titles) and ~2/3 the volume of the PS5. Someone clearly had more of a thought-through design here.
Guess we'll see what happens with the One or Slim design?
A 5nm refresh might help, though I think they fundamentally need to change their approach to the design of the console. Putting cooling first like MS has done is clearly the way to go. (Of course I wouldn't mind them ditching the spaceship-drawn-by-a-teenager design aesthetic either.)

Soul

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 11, 2020
A 5nm refresh might help, though I think they fundamentally need to change their approach to the design of the console. Putting cooling first like MS has done is clearly the way to go. (Of course I wouldn't mind them ditching the spaceship-drawn-by-a-teenager design aesthetic either.)
From my experience, console players dont really mind even when their consoles sound like a jet engine.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
From my experience, console players dont really mind even when their consoles sound like a jet engine.
That's true to a certain extent, but there are always complaints. It obviously doesn't stop them selling like hotcakes, as demonstrated by the PS4. Actually getting it to fit in your living room is a bigger concern, which is where I think Xbox has the upper hand despite their very unconventional design. The sheer scale of the PS5 makes it near impossible to fit anywhere (without sticking out like a sore thumb). The XSX is wide, sure, but the PS5 is nearly as wide while being much taller and thicker.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The PS4 was like the sexiest console ever and then this happened.
It doesn't even look as good as the PS3 original fat console. The curved design with black and silver/chrome looked much classier.
The PS5 with disc drive looks especially off with the ODD slot just sticking out like a sore thumb.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
@Revenant the Xbox Series X' design also seems much more efficient to the expected heat needing dissipation. The Playstation 5 seems to have an inefficient setup because it has the same typical console form factor with only a few sides for ventilation. Having a square-ended box (Xbox Series X) makes fitting a fan in the single exhaust a really easy challenge.

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Someone should mod one, put a PC into it ?
Make that a more powerful PC in it just to rub the salt into the wound. That will do it because it should very well be doable. And once that is all said and done, that will make the size look all the worse... excluding the price tag.