GPU Tegra Next - Aug 2016

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
http://liliputing.com/2016/07/nvidia-unveil-tegra-next-chip-details-august.html

Supposedly coming with Pascal graphics? The Tegra X1 was Maxwell based. 256 CUDA cores @ 1000mhz

Does that mean we can be getting a new chip with same or better thermals, much higher frequency on the graphics, and a Denver CPU?

I know most people here are PC guys, but I am getting more and more interested in the ARM market. I feel Windows RT was actually a great idea but ahead of its time. The hardware to support it wasn't there and Microsoft couldn't convince people to develop desktop apps running on low end hardware. I would love to see something running some high powered ARM chips: Denver and Pascal based SOC that can compete with an Intel i5 w/Iris Pro would be something great for Android tablets or chromebooks (now they can run Android apps). Maybe would also be great on a Surface Phone if they can tolerate it!

The other thought is Nvidia will just provide the graphics component for MediaTek and others. Not a bad thought but does that mean Denver was just a huge waste of money and time?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I suspect future Tegra chips will be targeting higher - but still lower than a laptop - power situations (TVs, cars, consoles like the shield, etc) rather than phones or tablets. That's a niche where there is little competition: most ARM SoCs are too low performance, and Intel and AMDs solutions are either too expensive, too high power, or both.

Though I really would like to see an updated version of the original Shield Portable (the folding one with the integrated physical controls) sold internationally.