GPU Iris 6200 alternatives?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Intel let me down last year...not because they didn't have phenomenal products for my partner's niche, but because only the larger OEMs were able to purchase the good chips and we struggled with availability.

The 5775C for example incorporated the Iris Pro 6200 chip which was pretty darn great and for what we did this chip was the answer to a lot of industry problems:

(thanks to hardwarecanucks for the image)

As we wait patiently for the 6700-S...which now looks to be replaced in the distribution by the 6700-T...I need some alternative that I can get on a regular basis. Is there anything I should be looking at?

In the meantime and as a separate project I want to do a CPU-only based S4 build, and if I can't find a suitable alternative to Iris 6200 graphics I'm going with the A10-7870K. My thoughts are that the i7 6700K CRUSHES the A10 in CPU-based benchmarks, and most of the time it is pretty even with the 7870k in 3D benchmarks.

Obviously if that was the end of the story I would choose the i7, except that in several games (that I actually play) the 7870k actually jumps leaps and bounds over the HD530. I've also found that performance increases for the APUs via AMD driver updates whereas you get very little improved performance with the Intel...and although Intel's graphics are generally very stable, they do have issues in some of the GPU based work applications my OEMs run. I'm babbling on, but I think with AMD's new driverset and some of the features of Crimson, the A10 flagship might actually be doable...

I've done APUs twice before, and they just never made sense from any perspective...they had better graphics processing than Intel's offering, but their weakness in CPU compute made them a net loss for my needs. I think they might be back on the table as I can buy pretty much a whole A10 based system for the price it would cost me to buy a 5775C from Japan!

What are y'alls thoughts? I'm itchin' do an S4 build video ASAP!

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Also, which AMD motherboard or AIO cooler would you like to see in the build? Even if you hate the S4 maybe you are interested in seeing a video and my impressions of the product? Y'all's input is really valuable!

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
There is no socketed (LGA) Skylake Iris Pro coming. That was confirmed cancelled in September. Kaby Lake will have one.

Your options are the 5775C or the 7870K.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I'd like to see you test the Silverstone TD03-SLIM, maybe with fans other than the stock one. It seems like a really interesting option for slim cases, but they advertise stiff tubing, so I'm curious whether it can bend tightly enough to fit your case.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I'd like to see you test the Silverstone TD03-SLIM, maybe with fans other than the stock one. It seems like a really interesting option for slim cases, but they advertise stiff tubing, so I'm curious whether it can bend tightly enough to fit your case.

UGH!!

The TD03-SLIM has been out of stock (despite stores saying they have it) so while I was waiting on that I bought a H60.

The radiator and fan fit beautifully and there is just enough of an airgap to where I think the cooling potential wouldn't be horrid (about to test).

Corsair like usual only included screws for one configuration, but I had plenty of 6-32 screws (and even some that come with the s4) that worked great for the countersunk 120mm fan mounts.

The frustration is I absolutely hate the tubing. Antec's older KULER series had great tubing that was pretty flexible, but the stuff on the new Corsair lineup is stiffer than a roundhouse from Chuck Norris. The thinner plastic tubing is easier to work with than this stuff. Plus there is so much of it that it just ruins the S4 Mini experience. I'm making a video and I'm going to officially put a word of warning that similar coolers have too much tubing for the S4.

On the plus side, the Silverstone TD03-Slim I know would install fine regardless of how stiff the tubing is, because it's thin enough where the tubing could fold over it a bit.

Custom liquid cooling would fit easier than the Corsair H60...which, I am working on tomorrow!

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Yeah, as I was reading your response I was actually going to suggest a custom loop, but looks like you already have that covered.

The Apogee Drive II CPU Block/Pump combo would make a custom loop in the S4 simple, though I'm not fond of that solution myself. EKWB's SE line and Dazmode's "Extra Slim" line both have 27.5mm radiators which should have no issues, based on your experience with the H60.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Yeah, as I was reading your response I was actually going to suggest a custom loop, but looks like you already have that covered.

The Apogee Drive II CPU Block/Pump combo would make a custom loop in the S4 simple, though I'm not fond of that solution myself. EKWB's SE line and Dazmode's "Extra Slim" line both have 27.5mm radiators which should have no issues, based on your experience with the H60.

FanTASTIC suggestions. I'm guessing most people wouldn't want to buy a H60, cut the tubes off, and replace with vinyl...

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
With this configuration, will a 10mm thick fan still fit above the mainboard? Or will it interfere with the tubing? Either way, this is already shaping up to be a pretty beastly case for overclocked APU builds :D With a bit of modding, you might even be able to fit a 140mm rad in there to get even better cooling performance.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
It's looking excellent, nice pictures too !

Thanks, personally I am disappointed. I need to find (with help) options with shorter, thinner tubing to clean it up.

With this configuration, will a 10mm thick fan still fit above the mainboard? Or will it interfere with the tubing?

No, the tubing interferes. I wanted to put the block the OTHER way so you could have 12mm fan over it, but the tubing clips the RAM! :(

Either way, this is already shaping up to be a pretty beastly case for overclocked APU builds :D With a bit of modding, you might even be able to fit a 140mm rad in there to get even better cooling performance.

If I have proved anything, its that custom liquid cooling would actually work better, especially with Vittra's suggestions. Everything fits, but its so tight you need to "sit on the suitcase" to get it to close.

I _am_ excited about the Iris Pro graphics I have in this rig and the overclocking potential, but I need to do something custom to do it right maybe the silverstone AIO will work).