Storage Storage discussion

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Greetings Travelers,
I didn't found a storage thread so I might just make one.
I've been benchmarking my drives locally for some time now and this is the first time I see some odd behavior and its quite hard to get some recent results to compare to

I think this could help us make some more informed decisions down the line on cheap, expensive and cost effective storage solutions and I'm really not that into looking into 5 diffs forums just for these.

----
I've always used HD tune for checking in on my Drives, but this last SSD I got gave me some weird results so I download crystal mark 6 to see what it would look like.

Here are my 3 current drives:
Sandisk Ultra 480GB SSD (Boot Drive)

Kingston V300 120GB SSD (former boot drive)

2.5 1TB WD green HDD

So, any ideias on this behaviours? also how your drives compare?

nick_w

Caliper Novice
Jun 13, 2017
here's mine
I don't really understand what hdtune is doing though.

TeamGroup T-force Cardea 240GB NVME SSD (boot drive)

Samsung HD103SJ HDD (x2 in RAID0)

Reactions: Phuncz and owliwar

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
First is MyDigitalSSD BPX 120GB, this was first generation of their drive with PCI 3.0 x4. Rated speed when I bought it was 1000 MB/S write and 2000 MB/S read, as you can see after 2 years the write speed has degraded.

Second is a Crucial 1TB P1 NVMe M.2, this one is only 2 months old and rated speed was 1500 MB/S write and 2000 MB/S read.

Picked up the Crucial for just over $100, very good deal.

Reactions: Phuncz and owliwar

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Thanks a lot Nick and Rfarmer, boy o boy these nvme sure are fast

based on this all, I think that hdtune is really not suited for ssd checking. that relieves me a bit.

my 480gb sandisk drive costed around 50 usd. the 120gb one is a good 3 years old at least. it was around 40 usd at the time.

sdds are really getting cheap nowadays, damm. cant wait to get a pcie one :)

Reactions: nick_w