News Steam Machines Removed from Steam Storefront

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Especially now that a gaming PC is a lot more expensive, I'm not surprised. Even though a Ryzen APU system would make for an excellent Steam Machine.

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Shame but I admit, after seeing them I wanted to start getting into sff. I just didn’t want steamOS and preferred to roll my own.

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
Sad to see. I still use Big Picture Mode though. Makes it convenient to play games on the TV when I bring my PC over to friends houses.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
BPM still works like it did, its just the overpriced line of sff rigs with a useless OS is gone lol.

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
About the only one that was ever really appealing to me was Dell’s Alienware Alpha which almost got me hooked with an open box deal I saw at Micro Center. But as I really started to research the SFF market two years ago, I ended up going with a Silverstone RVZ02 for performance and upgradability’s sake. That was about the closest I ever came to purchasing an actual Steam Machine.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
I feel in large part that the reason for the failure was the overpriced steam machines to begin with, and the fact that Valve's BPM simply makes you wonder why you would use SteamOS, as it was far easier to switch to big picture mode when I wanted to use steam on the big screen. You can also take into the fact that with Windows 10 being free or very cheap, it is simply no contest.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
SteamOS run into a brick wall, which was game compatability. That made steam machines EOL.

But, on positive side, it started a whole new set of SFF case designs that are awesome and are living and thriving today.

It was a step forward, but ended up not exactly good for Valve.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
While it is a shame that Valve did not revamp the Steam Machine and SteamOS projects with input from the community and developers like ProfessorKaos64. That said, Valve definitely helped push the state of graphics drivers on Linux. While the hope was to help bring more games to SteamOS (and Linux overall) over the years, the initial software and hardware just were not there when the projects started. That plus having more large-mindshare games support the platform, will help going forward should Valve intend to revisit the ideas.