SM560 Build gone awry...

prescben

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 9, 2020
It was going to be easy. Just a simple case swap, a TU150 for an SM560, changing only the CPU cooler from a NH-D15 to an 645lt... Everything else being kept the same.

That sentiment was Hubris. I know that now. And the Gods of the Stable System deplore Hubris. After lulling me into a false sense of confidence with a successful Post and Boot, the Gods visited upon me benchmark crashes, GPU BSOD's, Crackling Audio with Audio Driver system hangups.

I am devoid of all Hubris now, a shell of the system builder I once was. What little mental capacity remains tells me to shout into the void and wait to see if the void responds.

All joking aside...

At this point, I've done a clean install on a newly formatted drive. The GPU is stable now in Furmark and Heaven. But the audio issues persist despite Realtek Audio Driver uninstallation/reinstallation, etc. The audio issues will occasionally hang the system whenever audio plays, which (I think) is causing the 3d Mark and Game Benchmark crashes...

ALL of this is new after the transfer... If anyone has any ideas on where else to start with troubleshooting, I'd be eternally grateful. My brain is LEGIT fried trying to figure out what could be causing this.

The only thing I can think of is that something got bumped when installing the mobo, or something is interfering with the audio??? If I can't figure it out, everything is coming out of the case and is going to be built on the mobo box to see what happens, something I normally do with NEW systems, but never thought to do for a rebuild, before.

System Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
Asetek 645lt
Asus x570-i ROG Strix
32GB 3600 G.Skill RipJaws V
2TB Sabrent NVME
Sapphire Nitro+ 5700xt
EVGA GM 650W

prescben

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 9, 2020
If anyone ever encounters this problem in the future, do not pull your hair out, like I did. Instead, switch your BIOS PCIE from Auto to Gen 3...

I think BIOS was assuming Gen 4 since the board and card support it, not detecting that the riser was a gen3 cable.

With that fix, problem appears to be solved.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I didn't even notice you have both a x570 and RX 5700 XT, yeah unfortunately the BIOS will default to 4.0 if it sees a GPU that will support it but if your riser is not PCI 4.0 you will have issues.

prescben

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 9, 2020
I didn't even notice you have both a x570 and RX 5700 XT, yeah unfortunately the BIOS will default to 4.0 if it sees a GPU that will support it but if your riser is not PCI 4.0 you will have issues.
Yeah. It occurred to me late last night. System works great now. Just got done with benches and OC's. Just need to remount the 2.5" drives and cleanup some cables.

The only knock is the 645lt has a pronounced high-pitched pump whine, even at reduced speeds. I'm not sure if it would bother most people, but the pitch just happens to reinforce my tinniuts... Luckily I use the computer with headphones almost exclusively, but even so, I might go back to an air-cooler.

Reactions: rfarmer