Skyreach 4 Mini Component List, advice appreciated!

glarsen

Case Bender
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
So I've just placed an order for a Skyreach 4 Mini which will be my first sff build. My goal is to go brickless, cram the best gpu I can reasonably fit in there, and get a cpu that I can run some big data analysis on (SPSS and large excel spreadsheets). I have drafted the following components but am really new to this form factor so would be appreciative of some more experienced builders' opinions!

Case: Skyreach 4 Mini
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I
CPU: Need advice! I don't think I'll need a really high end CPU, however would like the ability to multitask across up to 3 monitors and smoothly run aforementioned analysis as well as the Adobe suite.
CPU cooler: Noctua nh-l9i
RAM: GSkill TridentZ 2 x 16GB DDR4 3000
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
PSU: HDPlex 400w along with 400w AC/DC adapter
GPU: Galax's newly announced RTX 2060 Super Mini (dimensions 190*126*41mm with bracket, 175*111*38mm without bracket) - will this fit brickless? Not sure if the Skyreach GPU compatibility measurements include bracket or not?

Lastly, is it worth waiting for intel to announce PCIE 4.0 support for their boards? I know PCIE 4.0 NVME drives have double the read/write speeds of 3.0 but realistically will I notice a difference?

Again any advice or feedback would be fantastic!!

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Lastly, is it worth waiting for intel to announce PCIE 4.0 support for their boards? I know PCIE 4.0 NVME drives have double the read/write speeds of 3.0 but realistically will I notice a difference?

Again any advice or feedback would be fantastic!!

Can't give straight answer to your brickless fitment question, sorry. Maybe ask in nfc subforum for more attention.

Nvme for pcie 4 won't have much perf difference than pcie 3, at least for now. Flash controller would need to catch up first.

Note also that real world performance difference between sata ssd and pice 3 nvme ssd is also not that impressive, windows 10 boot times for example only improves about 2 secs. The bus speed helps more on large file read/write.

So my advice is don't get too caught up with it, current nvme flash controllers already run hot on pcie 3, my guess is when newer controllers arrive we'll find a use for these newer boards' fanned heatsink.

glarsen

Case Bender
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
Thanks for the help! I did end up ordering a Ryzen 3700x as I hadn't realised they were releasing so soon. Hopefully I can make the Galax fit with the low profile connectors.

x111

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
can I put 1080ti mini with i9-9900 and play on 240hz monitor and have over 300fps in csgo ?
and squeeze the "HDPlex 400w along with 400w AC/DC adapter" inside ?

No and no.
can I do it with minor modifications ?

Last edited:

arkzdj

Caliper Novice
Dec 21, 2020
Is there an update on this? planning to go with skyreach 4 mini build probably mid range with regards to cost