Enclosure Similar cases to the Silverstone Fortress FT03-Mini?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Hey folks,

Lot of stuff going on, sorry I haven't been super active around here.

It's about to the point where I'm going to commit to my new daily driver. I managed to fry that Galax 1070 Mini (and it was 100% my stupidity, the card was great) and Galax confirmed that they are going to be sending me a replacement! So around the time the new card gets in, I'll be itching to properly build my new system.

I recall seeing at least one case concept on here but I can't seem to re-find it. The Silverstone Fortress FT03-Mini is an "upright column" case which I've grown to appreciate their smaller footprint (and stability) even if they aren't as console-sleek and razor-thin as some cases like the S4 Mini.

The Fortress in particular isn't quite the layout I'm looking for and I swear I've seen a more tightly packed version on here that has the layout I'm thinking of:

• Vertical airflow, aided by a filtered 120mm+ fan.
  • CPU and GPU on opposite sides of the case, partitioned off from each other.
  • I don't necessarily need the support for a full-length GPU, the Galax 1070 is 195mm long with the PCI bracket included in the length. (~180mm without the bracket.)
One thing I do like about the Silverstone Fortress is its placement of the computer's I/O on the top of the case, and it can even be covered by the included panel. Support for a SFX power supply would be nice, but I do have a Dell 300W AC-DC that I could pair with an appropriate FlexATX unit if need be.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
I think your case is the one here that I was thinking of! I'll definitely keep an eye out for your progress.

Reactions: Biowarejak

SyncGuy

Efficiency Noob
Nov 2, 2016
I think your case is the one here that I was thinking of! I'll definitely keep an eye out for your progress.

Oh yes.... Not that I'll be building one soon but I've exhausted all my resources and have fully decided this is the "best" for me... (after looking at Osmi, Zaber Sentry, etc...

I'm hoping it'll turn out well as I'm building 2 systems; HTPC and workstation.

HTPC main components plan:
6600k + 1080Ti
1 SSD (M2 or 2.5")

Workstation main components plan:
Ryzen 1700 + 1060
1 SSD (M2 or 2.5")

Importantly, both must be in the smallest, tiniest, crammiest case (smallest footprint possible) with as high as possible overclock-ability to squeeze as much performance as possible.

LoL!!

Reactions: zovc

wiretap

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2017
The Jonsbo VR1 seems to meet most of your requirements. It uses a vertical design, however no partitioning. It has a 120mm fan mount on the top and bottom for a vertical wind tunnel. Top mounted I/O. ATX power supply support (SFX w/ adapter could be used, and would help free up space for cable management). Tempered glass panels. 300 or 320mm graphics card depending on your top/bottom fan configuration.
http://www.jonsbo.com/en/products_35_1.html

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
The Jonsbo VR1 seems to meet most of your requirements. It uses a vertical design, however no partitioning. It has a 120mm fan mount on the top and bottom for a vertical wind tunnel. Top mounted I/O. ATX power supply support (SFX w/ adapter could be used, and would help free up space for cable management). Tempered glass panels. 300 or 320mm graphics card depending on your top/bottom fan configuration.
http://www.jonsbo.com/en/products_35_1.html

The Jonsbo VR1 seems like it's on the right track, but it also looks like it is designed for a bigger video card and power supply than I need. The way it's designed to "show off" one's hardware leads me to think my 1070 mini would look kind of silly in there. This exact design made to accommodate a shorter GPU and smaller (SFX) power supply would be a good suit of what I'm looking for.

And, for what it's worth, I think the Fortress FT03-Mini has a smaller footprint than the Jonsbo VR1. Neither of them seem to do a good job of accommodating conventional "open-air" GPU heatsinks like the one pictured in the Jonsbo builds--most of them exhaust air out the "bottom" of the card, opposite of the I/O. I'd probably end up having to use the fan on the bottom of the VR1 as an exhaust to avoid turbulence with the GPU's exhaust. But, that might ultimately be a limitation of this sort of design rather than the VR1 itself. The FT03-Mini seems to be pretty picky about what GPU coolers work well in it.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
FWIW I have an axial fan GTX 950 (PEG version not slot powered) in an FT03 mini. I haven't benched it to w/in an inch of its life but it runs just fine even through +40°C summers we have here. My conclusion is the advice around using a blower fan is more of a guide line / liability thing than a set in stone rule. YMMV though, take nothing I say as gospel.