short "single-fan" GPU upgrade with the most vRAM?

WorstCaseScenario

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 22, 2023
SGPC K39 case
ITX motherboard
i5 9600K
16GB DDR4 3600
Thermalright AXP-90 Copper
RX460
Enhance Flex ATX 600W

Serious Sam Siberian Mayhem was the first game I tried to play on my RX460 that opened my eyes to just how inadequate 4GB of VRAM is becoming and other games I've begun playing are also showing this trend, but I fear there are few to no options for upgrading in terms of SFF GPUs
I want to stick with AMD if possible because I like to use Linux sometimes and I've heard nothing but bad things with nVIDIA Linux drivers.
I'm seeing single fan RTX graphics cards with up to 12GB, hell even a low profile card with 6GB, but AMD can't fit more than 4GB?!

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
I know it's stupid... the R9 Nano (4GB, 150mm) is soon 8(!!!) years old and the only card from AMD in this size class (<180mm) would be a 6500XT. Similar performance, same amount of VRAM and not even that much lower power draw because they pushed it to the limit. (Should have been a 6400XT with max. 75W and LP models, but that probably made to much sense for Radeon... 😏)

WorstCaseScenario

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 22, 2023
I know it's stupid... the R9 Nano (4GB, 150mm) is soon 8(!!!) years old and the only card from AMD in this size class (<180mm) would be a 6500XT. Similar performance, same amount of VRAM and not even that much lower power draw because they pushed it to the limit. (Should have been a 6400XT with max. 75W and LP models, but that probably made to much sense for Radeon... 😏)

I might go with an Intel Arc A380 mini card with 6GB. I'm seeing them for around 120 dollars which is a pretty low risk for me considering the VRAM and form factor. benchmarks are showing it beat 1650s and 6400s by 4-8 FPS consistently. I would prefer 8+gb, but going nVIDIA is really a last resort for me since Intel's Linux drivers are still better afaik.

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
@WorstCaseScenario OH... forgot that option XD

Don't know how it performs under linux, but I recommended it to a friend (over the RX6400) and he is happy with it... And after it was clear that he would keep it I bought one for myself as a probe into Intel's ARC. Also collectible(?)/secondary build/card for test fits.

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
If VRAM is your thing, then why not just get a 3060? That has 12GB and there are quite a few single fan ITX options within 170mm for example PNY and Gainward or Palit.

WorstCaseScenario

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 22, 2023
@WorstCaseScenario OH... forgot that option XD

Don't know how it performs under linux, but I recommended it to a friend (over the RX6400) and he is happy with it... And after it was clear that he would keep it I bought one for myself as a probe into Intel's ARC. Also collectible(?)/secondary build/card for test fits.
It's a pretty bad value, but I did find this 5500XT with 8gb