Power Supply SFX PSU high power and sleeveable

Virgule

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 7, 2018
Hello,

I'm in need of a PSU recommendation.

I need a SFX PSU in the 800W range (ideally 850W if that exists) that has also an easy pinout for custom cables. I want to build custom cables for that PSU so the least amount of double wires and in-line capacitors, the better. The most 1 to 1, the better. Full modular of course.

I need that much power because I'm planning to power a 1800X, 1080ti, 4x8GB DDR4 (OC on all), 18W DDC pump, 6 RGB fans, 50cm LED strip, 2x 5.25'' and 1 m.2. I also want a bit of head room for future upgrades and just to not run at 95% load all the time.

Regards,

Virgule

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 7, 2018
The difference between SFX and SFX-L is the latter is a bit longer right ?
I'm just trying to free a bit of space for cable management in the bottom compartment of a Caselabs BH8. Anything smaller than an ATX is good I guess. As for the screw pattern, I do need an adapter bracket right ? Does SFX and SFX-L share the same pattern ?

As for the PSU suggested, yea I stumbled on that choice with a bit of research. It seems like the only option with that much of an output. Any other options you know of ? Also, reviews seem to point out the fact that it can be quite loud and that a v2.0 version should be in the works.

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
The difference between SFX and SFX-L is the latter is a bit longer right ?
I'm just trying to free a bit of space for cable management in the bottom compartment of a Caselabs BH8. Anything smaller than an ATX is good I guess. As for the screw pattern, I do need an adapter bracket right ? Does SFX and SFX-L share the same pattern ?

As for the PSU suggested, yea I stumbled on that choice with a bit of research. It seems like the only option with that much of an output. Any other options you know of ? Also, reviews seem to point out the fact that it can be quite loud and that a v2.0 version should be in the works.

Yes SFX-L is just a longer SFX style, same screw pattern. I'm thinking that you're overestimating your power needs, you should only hit wattage that high if you were running synthetic loads on both CPU & GPU constantly and that's only if you get one of the extreme 1080 Ti capable of a 350W range overclock. Overclocked 1800X looks like around 200W depending on your luck with the silicon lottery so you should still have plenty of headroom even with your extra pull from the watercooling setup.

That said I don't think you really have any other options at the same wattage or even within 50.

Also if future hardware consumes more power something is wrong, we should be going down or staying the same with higher performance levels unless you move up a tier (Titan with i9 or something).

Virgule

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 7, 2018
With a nice overclock on everything I calculated 710W (full load of course). While this would only show up in extreme scenarios, I just want a bit of headroom, like most. Is the SX800-LTI my only option ?

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
With a nice overclock on everything I calculated 710W (full load of course). While this would only show up in extreme scenarios, I just want a bit of headroom, like most. Is the SX800-LTI my only option ?

If this is your target wattage I don't think you have any other options, although a Titanium rating isn't a bad thing to be stuck with :p

Are you using a powersupply calculator? They tend to be very generous and already give you headroom, you would be better off looking up reviews hitting something close to your ideal overclocks and seeing their actual power measurements are. My opinion is that you're going to be fine and well within the envelope of that PSU.

Also here's the Jonnyguru review if you want some technical reading.

Last edited:

Virgule

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 7, 2018
I'll calculate the wattage with a different method. If I were to drop to 700W, is the Silverstone SX700-LPT my only option ?