News SFFWG Renames PCIe SSD SFF-8639 Connector To U.2

The Small Form Factor Working Group (SFFWG) announced that SFF-8639 will now be referred to as the U.2 connector in a bid to simplify the confusing nomenclature around the new PCIe 3.0 x4 connector. When the first PCIe SSDs came to market they were high cost and relegated to the enterprise market, but the faster speed and lower latency was well worth the price premium.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sff-8639-u.2-pcie-ssd-nvme,29321.html

Uh oh, the specification document may show up uninvited on your Apple devices now :p

Strange name choice but I'm glad they finally picked something more marketable than SFF-8639.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
LOL @ U2 reference :D

To me it's a clear sign that M.2 is here to stay and U.2 will be the "classic" format we all know for easily replaceable drives. I still firmly believe M.2 is the future for most consumer device storage and 2,5" or 3,5" disks (with U.2 connectors) will slide into obseletion slowly (>5y).

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
Read somewhere Dell has already been selling servers with 15mm thick 2.5" drive hotswap bays with SFF-8639 connectors for 2.5" NVMe SSDs.
Neither M.2 nor PCIe card type SSDs are hotswappable so I won't be surprised if this standard will gain traction in the enterprise world, and even at the consumer level for NAS usage.

Also read that MSI was almost ready to showcase a motherboard with an on-board U.2 port for COMPUTEX 2015.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I wonder why SATA Express has been pretty much DOA for drives. Plenty of newer motherboard support it (as opposed to 0 for SFF-8639-miniSAS without an M.2 conversion card), and it is at least capable of 4x PCI-E 3.0 lanes (as on X99).

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Sata Express already bottlenecks the top current-gen SSDs (Samsung SM951, Intel 750) since it's limited to 3.0 x2 (~1.6GB/s real-world throughput). Several SSDs that have been announced at Computex will be capable of more than that.

So it's too little, too late for Sata Express. M.2, U.2, and PCIe add-in cards are the future.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Indeed. SATA Express never felt more than a hack-job with the silly huge ports and clunky cables. I'm glad it didn't succeed in gaining traction, those huge ports are a bad idea for SFF.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
They're a bad idea in general. I had thought that Micro USB 3.0 was bad, but SATA Express puts it to absolute shame.

If you had challenged whatever consortium made the standard, to make as convoluted a connector as possible, I don't think they could have done any better :rolleyes:

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If you had challenged whatever consortium made the standard, to make as convoluted a connector as possible, I don't think they could have done any better

I think the USB Implementers Forum would like to have a word with you :p

The 5Gbps USB formerly known as 3.0 is now USB 3.1 Gen1 and the 10Gbps formerly known as USB 3.1 is now USB 3.1 Gen2.

Type-C is a connector and can actually be used with USB 2.0, 3.1 Gen1, or USB 3.1 Gen2. The cool features people associate with it like 100W power deliver, DisplayPort mode, Ethernet mode, PCIe mode, etc. are all optional and any, all, none, or various combinations of those features may be supported depending on the host and device.

It's going to be a mess when explaining all this to consumers.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Man, I had to expend considerable effort to commit SFF-8639 to memory!

ALL FOR NAUGHT

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Type-C is a connector and can actually be used with USB 2.0, 3.1 Gen1, or USB 3.1 Gen2. The cool features people associate with it like 100W power deliver, DisplayPort mode, Ethernet mode, PCIe mode, etc. are all optional and any, all, none, or various combinations of those features may be supported depending on the host and device.

It's going to be a mess when explaining all this to consumers.
USB has always been a mess with many different connectors, but this is going way out of hand. Let us hope it's more like HDMI where the version number is all we have to remember and those different type of ports are labeled, with cables being universally usable. To keep the confusion as limited as possible.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
There will be Thunderbolt 3 specific Type-C connectors too, for the full 40 Gbit/s bandwith.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yup, there's that too. With extra confusion since different cables will give different capabilities I believe (active vs passive, etc.).