SFF? Not so much but spacially challenged nevertheless.

Just bought a 5 years old Lenovo C30 workstation which, with its narrow form factor, shares many of the issues dealt with here although it is far from small in either of the other spacial dimensions. It currently has a Quadro NVS 295 ? so looking to upgrade to something more new shaped at a reasonable price so newer Quadro and Radeon Pro cards are a bit off the reservation. It alledgedly takes 'full size' cards but this means 'full height' so long as the height is less than the pcie back plate and easily up to 300mm long so long as the PCB and cooler clears the chipset heatsink, etc. I've read with interest the GTX 1650 LP thread and will add my penny worth there as appropriate.
I don't need super games performance but would like some snappy GIS rendering and something that will improve my 'manhood' credentials in volunteering excess capacity for science. Currently have 1x10 core Xeon with another on the way to up the oomf to 40 threads.

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Welcome to the forum ! We're not only about small things, packing a lot of power in as small as possible case (efficiently) is still something we like :)

Reactions: Arboreal

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Welcome, that is an interesting machine that I didn't know about.

Dual Xeon in 24L? Very dense and good stuff.

Reactions: Phuncz

mcspreader

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 17, 2020
Thanks for the welcome. I got the extra processor in the post today and have a genuine heatsink/fan coming.
The processor has an HP plastic shroud fitted so i'll need to take that off. Slightly daunting as i'm new to xeon gear but fortune favours the bold.

Reactions: Phuncz and Arboreal