confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
The L9a definitely uses shouldered screws - I can't personally vouch for the L9i variant though.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
The L9a definitely uses shouldered screws - I can't personally vouch for the L9i variant though.

It uses shouldered thumbscrews, too, similar to the ones of the L9a, but with a small plastic washer and a wider knurl part. That doesn't prevent them from being overtightened, though.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
The length of the threaded portion would limit the tightening of the screw to a predetermined level (you cannot tighten past the end of the threads!). I would say the distance between the bottom surface of the board and the top of the CPU heatspreader would be the same (within tolerance) for all Intel boards.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
That is correct, it is something between 8 and 10mm, IIRC. The mounting brackets of the NH-L9 coolers have shoulders as well, I'd say with those we are arriving at at least 5mm distance from the top of the board, which results in a bending angle of about 15° for the 75mm distance between mounting holes that sockets 15xx have.
I wouldn't call that healthy at all. Still, you immediately notice this during assembly.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Sorry to bring up an old topic but does anyone with an NH-L9i know what thread size and length for the screws that mount the fan?

TinyAudio

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 9, 2017

NECRO!

My Google-fu has failed me tonight. Does anyone know the the size of the IHS contact pad (between the brackets) on the NH-L9i?