SFF.Network [SFF Network] Streacom Launches the DB4, a Fanless m-ITX Cube

PRESS RELEASE:

A press release, when marked as such, is posted direct from the manufacturer and is unedited. Thus, they may not reflect the view of SmallFormFactor.net or its authors.

From Streacom; "Introducing the DB4, our most ambitious fanless case to date, featuring a bisymmetrical design that is uniquely bold and blurs the lines between technology and art.

With the DB4 we set out to not only redefine what a PC case could look like, but the performance and compatibility achievable from a fanless solution. Every element of this case subtly screams premium, from the 13mm thick extruded aluminium side panels to the precision CNC’d internal frame, all perfectly blended together with our characteristically understated design tone.

Read more here.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I like it. I've seen people complaining, but I like it. It's one of those cases that you don't mind putting front and center in your living room and people will be flabbergasted at it seeming a random piece of contemperary art, while you're playing Overwatch on the TV.

Streacom has my vote and I'd love to do a build with one of their cases.

Reactions: confusis

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
It looks pretty damn great. Not sure whether they've been doing this in the past as well, but the extruded T-profile seems to have two layers, so in combination with the vertical orientation of those fins, the case probably offers very good performance for a passively cooled system.

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
I just came across the DB2 here . That is a case I would like to pick up...but I have yet to get the dimensions of it yet.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
http://www.technic3d.com/news/hardw...chmack-auf-weiteres-gehaeuse-der-db-serie.htm

Oh wow.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Yup. I'll contact our Streacom rep to see if there is more info on this little alu beasty

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
Yup. I'll contact our Streacom rep to see if there is more info on this little alu beasty

I am interested on the release date. I read Q4 2016 and on another site 2017. I hope this case won't follow the same path as the DB4...Where it took two years from appearance to actual production.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
That is really specific placement of the CPU:

I know the heat pipes are probably exchangeable, but how many sizes are they going to offer to have this work? Or will they have a very limited amount of compatible motherboards that you must use (limiting potential to upgrade in the future)?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
On a random sidenote...can anyone explain this streacom.cn?

That's just the chinese site of streacom.

I didn't even knew this existed till just now...and they have some "new" products like this awesome mitx case.

Unfortunately, this will only be available to OEMs.

That is really specific placement of the CPU:

I know the heat pipes are probably exchangeable, but how many sizes are they going to offer to have this work? Or will they have a very limited amount of compatible motherboards that you must use (limiting potential to upgrade in the future)?

Just one, actually. This is a thin mITX case, and on those boards the placement of the CPU socket is fixed. It's interesting that they don't have a regular Motherboard I/O cutout, but as Gigabyte is the only seller of thin mITX boards right now and all their boards have the same I/O layout, they probably adjusted it to that. Additionally, for an OEM product, they can just modify the I/O to fit whatever board the OEM wants to use.

anak85

Case Bender
Nov 27, 2016
It would be great to have some user experience on the DB4. A proper review testing the limits of the case with a GPU would be very interesting.

To me it looks like a slim fan could fit under the case lid with a case mod. I know this kind of defeats the purpose of a fully silent PC but even very slow rpm would help hugely with GPU, VRM, RAM, motherboard cooling. Friends of mine run a small laser cutting shop and can easily cut out air vents and mounting holes into an acrylic material.

Noctua are working on a 200mm x 15mm slim fan. A model like this could be run at an inaudible rpm. Could this in theory fit?

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
In Dutch but I don't think I've seen a review, this one has a professionally made video, showing the size, internals and issues (cables are mostly going to need to be 90 degree angled): https://tweakers.net/reviews/5041/1...ignbehuizing-inleiding-anders-dan-anders.html

Performance is off the chart (bad), as a 45W APU is heating up the CPU to 108°C though this is running with full load using Prime95.
When using an actively cooled 1050Ti, itself manages 82°C. The temps in the link are delta, so take 20°C room temperature into account, which I did for the afformentioned temps.

Another issue is the size: it has support for quite some hardware but it obviously has issues with keeping even modest hardware in check.
Maybe when the load isn't too high, like for HTPC usage, but I wouldn't want to bring this to a LAN party.
The feet are also just a smidge to short to comfortably be able to use regular cables. As it seems you need atleast a 90 degree angle AC cable and mind that all the other cables have a short connector or atleast flexible wiring.

Still it looks amazing but too bad the thermal performance isn't quite ready for heavier use. The price, over € 270 at the moment, is also not easy to swallow.