SFF.Network [SFF Network] HP Unveils Two New SFF Designs

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Looks rather similar to the MSI Vortex, but wrapped in fabric. I wonder if MSI and HP partnered to fund R&D and core component manufacturing from the same OEM?

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I think it may be quite a bit different internally, unless the exhaust air is shooting out through the speaker. I would guess if they show the back, their are exhaust vents on it.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
The backside is clear of vents. But HP now have an X-ray view hidden on their website:

Definitely not he same layout as the MSI Vortex:

Rather than a single large fan to ventilate everything, it instead uses a teeny tiny little blower to cool the CPU, and an external DC PSU. It's not clear where the discrete GPU would go, but the site states "On one side is the motherboard, with the processor, graphics card, and SSD", so it's probably on the same board as the CPU.

What a way to ruin a good thermal layout!

Reactions: Soul_Est

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Aside from the external PSU, I like it. I am worried that fan will effect the speaker sound though, or rather it will mean you need the speaker to overpower it.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I like the design, but it's too small for any proper cooling or gaming hardware I'd guess. Though as an all-round PC this is a nice design. Still wasting space with (multiple) 2,5" drives I see. They didn't get the memo about Intel's cheap M.2 NVMe drives ?

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
HP Elite Slice is very similar to the Acer Revo Build (http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/revobuild) in concept, although it's base configuration is more powerful. The Acer Revo Build's highest priced configuration with an i5 is cheaper than HP Elite Slice's lowest priced configuration with an i3. I would be glad to see more of these modular systems out and hopefully see a modular system standard ratified. We all know how that will turn out (and here's hoping it doesn't):

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Looks like they had to forego using common heatsink in the middle since that's where the speaker internals go.

One thing that stood out to me after looking inside this case is, in the pursuit of saving as much volume as possible, a triangular or rounded triangular prism makes the most sense for PC-compatible parts in this vertical arrangement, moreso than a perfectly round cylinder.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Indeed, although we shouldn't be to narrow-minded that no one will come up with a viable layout. But with mITX your absolute smallest radius or dimension is 17cm anyway, it being a large square doesn't help either. The Mac Pro gets away with a lesser volume because of the rectangular and completely custom-made boards.