Log SFF gaming/streaming build, need advice

mr_B

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Oct 6, 2020
Warning : be prepaired for stupid questions, and "talk to me like i´m 5 years old...." ?

My son (14) wants to build his gaming rig from scratch (he got a cheap prebuilt one now), and we decided to do it together.
I consider myself relativeliy tech savvy, and built pc´s in the 90´s, but todays pc parts is new territory for me (at least when it comes to in-dept specs for parts etc).
So the last month we have been researching parts, and landed on doing it SFF/MFF style. The reason for this is that he want something he easily kan bring with him to LAN parties, friends etc. He also wants to streaming down the line

So, as i said we, have been reseaching parts for some time now, watched through ALOT of YT videoes, read up on forums, read reviews on parts+++, but have not gotten any closer to actually picking the parts.
So we decided to start with 3 (4) parts to decide on first : The case, motherboard, cooling solution, (CPU)

First, this is what we have gotten allready (sits in his current rig)
-2 x SSD disks (2x500gb)
-Gaming keyboard and mouse
-Gaming monitor

Budget for new build approx $1600. To get the "best" parts, we can use his current GPU (cheap card that came with his prebuilt rig) and get a new one down the line (not critical part).

So, here comes the questions....

Cooling:
We want an AIO cooling. This is absolutely new territory for us, ALL tips on what to look at is appreciated :)

Case 20-25L:
We have been looing at Phanteks Evolve Shift Air and NZXT H1 (beautiful cases!), but are conserned about airflow (i know this is a tradeoff when doing SFF builds).
Also, on most of the phanteks build i have seen the radiator on the AIO cooler has been mounted on the bottom of the case (underneath the pump), which i understand is a no-no.
What do you think about these cases? any other recommended cases to look at?

Motherboard M-itx or M-atx
We need some pointers on what specs to look at. All these motherbord looks the same to us, so need some advice on what to look for.

CPU
Intel or Ryzen? We are looking at a intel i9, but how are they compared to Ryzen. And since this relates directly to motherboard type, it got "promoted" to "first parts to pick"?

This is probably only the first of ALOT of "stupid" questions, so we appologize in advance :) Both of us are taking this apportunity to learn something new (and most likely start a new hobby that will make us broke most of the time......and i´m allready deep into 3D printing ?)

All advices is appreciated❤

best regards

Hans

yosinem

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 19, 2020
Hi Hans,
I'm new to this world too.
One thing I can say for sure, The NZXT H1 is a heavy case (6.53 kg) so it will not be easy for 14 years old boy to mobilized with this case.
About the CPU, in 2 weeks or so the new risen 5000 (Zen 3) will come out and you will be able to make a more informed choice.
After you will decide which CPU you will take, it will narrow down your motherboard options

br0qn

Chassis Packer
Oct 18, 2020
I can't way in as I'm on my way to make my own thread with questions, had to stop and say you're a cool dad. I was 13/14 when I wanted to spend my saved money to build a PC in '99/00 and my dad wouldn't let me me do it.