Discussion SFF alternative to gaming laptop

FredSRichardson

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 25, 2022
I'm trying to sort this one out and would benefit from others experience here. I'm pretty sure I could make a thin (<3.5") SFF system that performs at least as well as the current round of top performing gaming laptops even without a power brick.

Assume for the moment that I manage to figure out a nice "lapdock" solution so I have a nice keyboard and monitor (ideally gutted from a good laptop and hacked to connect via usb-c though I know there's nothing easy about any of that).

Does anyone share the experience in traveling with an SFF? I'm really trying to make sure anything I do can fit under the seat in front of me. The 3.5" thickness constraint allows me to also carry a work Ultrabook and portable "lapdock" (or portable monitor and keyboard if that fails).

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
If it doesn't need batteries and you only want to run it off mains power, then yes, you can easily fit full desktop sized power into any number of 5 liter slim cases like Skyreach 4 mini and use a self-powered USB-C monitor such as what Asus sells.

Reactions: FredSRichardson

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I'm trying to sort this one out and would benefit from others experience here. I'm pretty sure I could make a thin (<3.5") SFF system that performs at least as well as the current round of top performing gaming laptops even without a power brick.

Assume for the moment that I manage to figure out a nice "lapdock" solution so I have a nice keyboard and monitor (ideally gutted from a good laptop and hacked to connect via usb-c though I know there's nothing easy about any of that).

Does anyone share the experience in traveling with an SFF? I'm really trying to make sure anything I do can fit under the seat in front of me. The 3.5" thickness constraint allows me to also carry a work Ultrabook and portable "lapdock" (or portable monitor and keyboard if that fails).

Hey @FredSRichardson, I noticed that this is your first post, so welcome on board!

Please take a moment to read our forum's terms, conditions and rules. It is especially important to read them if you are wanting to buy or sell, as the information you need to gain access to that subforum is all in there.

Also, as part of our community moderation efforts, we don't let new users edit posts or links for a bit, so report your post using the "report" button if you need it deleted/modified (or just post something like "sorry double post above" or "the above post is wrong, here's the updated one:... ").

The report button is also useful if you observe spam or any other suspicious activities going on.

Regarding your requirement - I'm not sure why the 3.5" thickness constraint, but I think it's feasible. For example, the venerable NFC Skyreach S4 is only 64mm thick. In fact, if you're computing requirement is not that high, there are some unique products such as http://penkesu.computer/

So again, welcome & have fun!

FredSRichardson

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 25, 2022
@msystems - yes this is right along the lines I'm thinking of.

It would be great to hear any advice from anyone who has travelled with a portable gaming desktop. A comparison to traveling with something like a giant Clevo DTR with socketed CPU/GPU would be awesome.

I've been looking at the Sliger CL520 (2.7") or maybe even CL530 (3.7") cases. From what I've heard, the Skyreach 4 mini is a really nice case, but it's not currently available and I think it is more restricted in terms of GPU cards (I've seen a few examples of a 3070 or above running in the CL520, but it seems the s4mini is harder pull this off with).

FredSRichardson

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 25, 2022
Regarding your requirement - I'm not sure why the 3.5" thickness constraint, but I think it's feasible. For example, the venerable NFC Skyreach S4 is only 64mm thick. In fact, if you're computing requirement is not that high, there are some unique products such as http://penkesu.computer/

Love that Penkesu - not what I'm going for here, but absolutely awesome project in it's own right!

The thickness constraint is really because when flying I want to make sure I can always fit the rig under the seat in front of me. I have to travel with and additional work Ultrabook and a monitor (or ideally folding "lapdock") to go with the rig. Getting all that plus other travel essentials under the 6" or 7" is rough when the case gets into the 4-5" range.

Or at least all that is my thinking - again would love to hear what others have done for a traveling gaming desktop!

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Love that Penkesu - not what I'm going for here, but absolutely awesome project in it's own right!

The thickness constraint is really because when flying I want to make sure I can always fit the rig under the seat in front of me. I have to travel with and additional work Ultrabook and a monitor (or ideally folding "lapdock") to go with the rig. Getting all that plus other travel essentials under the 6" or 7" is rough when the case gets into the 4-5" range.

Or at least all that is my thinking - again would love to hear what others have done for a traveling gaming desktop!

Ah I see.. OK I think I misread your earlier post.

Not sure about the thickness and power requirements, but probably you can start here for inspiration: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/diy-laptop-portable-pc.15795/

Well, it's midnight here, so the search bar on top should help you further. Enjoy!

Reactions: timginter

FredSRichardson

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 25, 2022
@ignsvn - thank you for that excellent pointer to the portable laptop project! I'm not sure why I didn't come across that before!

I think I have a much easier problem to solve since I'm willing to let my SFF system stand up-right. That is, I don't need to have the keyboard on top (let alone to have the whole thing in my lap).

The one DIY piece I am really considering is a folding monitor + keyboard. I'm thinking one way to solve this problem might be to cannibalize an old but good laptop (I could even swap the panel if needed). That would solve the hinge problem. But getting usb-c to work for both could be a huge challenge from what little I've read...

If all else fails I'll just get a portable monitor and figure it out from there...

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
@ignsvn - thank you for that excellent pointer to the portable laptop project! I'm not sure why I didn't come across that before!

I think I have a much easier problem to solve since I'm willing to let my SFF system stand up-right. That is, I don't need to have the keyboard on top (let alone to have the whole thing in my lap).

The one DIY piece I am really considering is a folding monitor + keyboard. I'm thinking one way to solve this problem might be to cannibalize an old but good laptop (I could even swap the panel if needed). That would solve the hinge problem. But getting usb-c to work for both could be a huge challenge from what little I've read...

If all else fails I'll just get a portable monitor and figure it out from there...

Glad it helps. Just search, if I remember correctly there are more than one DIY SFF laptop foldable PC projects here.

Yes, if budget is not an issue (or your hand is not itchy to salvage-DIY an old laptop monitor), portable monitor can be a straightforward option.

anekfor

Case Bender
New User
Nov 28, 2022
Looking at a sentry 2.0 knockoff I could achieve a system of acceptable portability alongside a better GPU (and having a DP). Should I pay the extra for a gfx I don't really need or would it be better to get the AIO package? Can I even fit a comparable CPU going down the water cooled road?

anekfor

Case Bender
New User
Nov 28, 2022
Looking at a sentry 2.0 knockoff I could achieve a system of acceptable portability alongside a better GPU (and having a DP). Should I pay the extra for a gfx I don't really need or would it be better to get the AIO package? Can I even fit a comparable CPU going down the water cooled road?
It's something to ponder. Of course there are pros and cons and one question still remains... which CPU could I fit inside a sentry 2.0 knockoff with liquid cooling and even more interesting do I need that kind of power
forpc.onl minecraft pocket edition pc

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
Guess all depends on what you do, a PC won't match top performing gaming laptops without a dedicated GPU.

I travelled with my "lapdesk"/portable PC and it's great. Fits into a larger 17'' laptop bag. No external PSU means only a kettle lead, keyboard and mouse/trackball to take. Really shines for VR with a Quest 2 and Virtual Desktop app, glad I didn't go for an APU build with mine.

I tried a laptop screen and price-wise was the same as the portable monitor in the parts list. Laptop screens have just a ribbon cable, you need a controller board for HDMI and power (usually via a 5v jack). Swapping screens a pain, too - you need a screen that's compatible with the controller board, they are not standardised. In a laptop, the controller board is built into the motherboard

Last edited:

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
I tried a laptop screen and price-wise was the same as the portable monitor in the parts list. Laptop screens have just a ribbon cable, you need a controller board for HDMI and power (usually via a 5v jack). Swapping screens a pain, too - you need a screen that's compatible with the controller board, they are not standardised. In a laptop, tue controller board is built into the motherboard
the ThinkPad community has a few hints (or full-blown tutorials) on how to do that. Its primarly how to replace screens, but some of these are very well documented and could help building a semi-standardized controller card.

cu, w0lf.

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
the ThinkPad community has a few hints (or full-blown tutorials) on how to do that. Its primarly how to replace screens, but some of these are very well documented and could help building a semi-standardized controller card.

cu, w0lf.
Nice, sounds like an option. Not sure about the cost, though, in my case it was 17'' 1080p 144Hz and a cheap portable monitor was the same price as a laptop screen + controller board + DIY power cable

• Wow
Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch

Vilmir

Trash Compacter
Jul 23, 2019
Sharing my long term XP here using a lapdesk with an Asus XG17 for the last 18 months or so. I stopped using it as portable machine. Here's why:
  1. It's much more quiet than a high end gaming laptop while being more performant
  2. Of course it's evolutive
  3. Definitively way less easy to move around, you have to carry the keyboard, the mouse, the monitor, the power plug for the monitor, the case and its power cable. Quite cumbersome to repack everything and unpack, especially if you move frequently during the day
  4. On a couch or a bed, the ergonomy is way less good, the monitor is not attached to the keyboard and both move independently. The surface footprint is also higher, making the experience a bit cluttersome
  5. The biggest problem I encountered: when on the laps the display connection with microHDMI disconnects very frequently when the display moves a bit because of laps movement. Very annoying. I have tried 2 different cables from different brands, no chance. Obviously this problem is solved by using a table.
  6. After 2 vacation breaks where I took my lapdesk in the car with me to play when the kids sleep, my wife asked me to not take it with us anymore. It takes too much space in the vacation house/bungalow/hotel room and in the car that is fully packed with kids stuff
So, I keep my ITX as a second pc, but I do not use it anymore to play on the couch while my wife watches a show I don't like, just to be together. I use a steam deck for that now, way more convenient. And when we go on vacation, I use my macbook pro to play some light games like Cuphead or Cult of the lamb.