GPU Sane to expect a GTX 2050 LP in the future?

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
Do you guys think it is possible to expect a GTX/RTX 2050 LP with the same performance as a 1050 Ti, but with lower power consumption/heat output?

My compact HTPC-build is otherwise really nice, but after longer gaming sessions, the GTX 1050 Ti I have in it thermal throttles. I am really hoping to improve the thermals. Or do you think it would be better to just wait for the 30-series in a couple of years?

I currently have the MSI GTX 1050Ti LP in the system, and I am looking for improvements in thermals, not performance.

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
Even if they replace the 1050ti, which at this point is looking pretty bleak (although I'm sure they have failed Turing dies they need to do something with).
I don't honestly believe the thermals would be any better.
I've speculated Nvidia "would" replace replace the 1050ti with a 896 core part over the the 768 in the 1050ti.
I don't believe an updated card would come from failed Turing dies, I believe it would be an 896core Pascal part on 12nm.
Such a move would "probably" give exactly the same thermals despite a slightly smaller fab process!

Until Nvidia move to 7nm (probably on Samsungs 7nm process in 2020) It's really not looking good for any Dual slot LP cards with more performace / better thermals from Nvidia in 2019.

I'm really hoping that AMD make a 7nm Navi part at 75w that board partners are smart enough to make Dual slot LP cards with.
And that's pretty much it for this year......

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Do you guys think it is possible to expect a GTX/RTX 2050 LP with the same performance as a 1050 Ti, but with lower power consumption/heat output?

My compact HTPC-build is otherwise really nice, but after longer gaming sessions, the GTX 1050 Ti I have in it thermal throttles. I am really hoping to improve the thermals. Or do you think it would be better to just wait for the 30-series in a couple of years?

I currently have the MSI GTX 1050Ti LP in the system, and I am looking for improvements in thermals, not performance.

I removed the fans/shroud on my 1050ti LP and installed two 80x15mm case fans to cool it instead. They do a great job cooling, but on my particular GPU model I can't seem to get fan control working properly, so I control the fans via a motherboard header instead. You can see more details in the link in my signature.

PS: I've got a pair of the Noiseblocker 80x15mm PWM fans laying around and would sell them to you for cheaper than you can buy new if you're interested.

Reactions: Mortis Angelus

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
I too am rather looking forward to a 7nm, 75W LP card from red camp.

I'm pretty sure NVIDIA will bring lower tier Turing parts without RT cores, and no reason to think that 1050Ti replacement will not be one of them. With 7nm though, AMD should be able to compete in terms of perf/W. Or, am I being too hopeful for them?

I certainly am wishful as I wanna go all red, since... forever ;)

Smanci

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2017
Maybe a little too hopeful. Haven't been competitive for more than half a decade and their current 14nm chips are still behind or roughly equal to Maxwell (28nm) so I wouldn't hold high hopes.