S4 Mini #106

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
May as well start a build thread since I've built into my Mini, right? :v
Build list:
S4 Mini #106
E-Switch PV6F240SS-3R1
Asus P8Z77I-Deluxe WD
i5 3570K @ 4.0GHz
16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer O/B with EK monarch heatspreaders
EVGA 1060 SC
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Sandisk Ultra II 960GB
Noctua L9i
Silverstone SX500-LG

I'll add better/ more pictures when I get home, and the video of the transplant once I get it put together!

Curiosity

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
The plan is to sell my A4-SFX (Have someone lined up already) and my Ncase V2 to finance a 6700T/7700T and Z270I, then sell the cpu/mobo/ram/ PSU to cover the cost of some M.2 and RAM. :)

Curiosity

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
Here's a few more pictures.

I've also ordered a new carrying bag for it, the Chrome industries Niko Messenger (In camo, I love splinter camos!)

And I ordered 2 Oley M.2 to SATA adapters for when I eventually get some M.2 Drives and have moved into the Customod Mini. (Sorry Josh!)

Curiosity

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
So the Niko messenger was WAYY too small, the dimensions online are for the outside, not the main compartment. My Pok3r was a tight squeeze!
So I returned it and got the Niko backpack, I'll post pictures tonight after work.

Reactions: GreatestUnKnown

Curiosity

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
A little late on it, but here's some pictures, I got my g-unique in today!!

imgur.com/a/Zs3Of
As you can see there's plenty of room in the bag for other things like my displays, cables, etc. I'm planning on using the top section for clothes when I go somewhere for a longer period of time.

Last edited:

Curiosity

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
Oh do you have the other Case for sale ?
Which Case are you referring to?
Regardless, I don't have any for sale right now, I sold my m1 after moving into the S4, and sold the A4SFX before I even had it in hand. XD
And @Ceros_X it's waiting for my customod to come in so he can buy this S4.
@Curiosity how does the power input jack fit to the frame of the case? I can see it floating near the RAM in the photos.
It doesn't actually fit to the frame at all since I got the standard 8pin connector with the 400w brick.
I ended up making an extension cable and running out out the back of the case through the hole the jack is intended to mount to.
You should be able to request a different length for the input jack when you order though. I'm not sure how long it is by default but if you want it to reach the back of the case you'll need an extra 12" or so, that's how long my extension is.

Last edited:

Germanese

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2017
Darnit hahaha i was about to ask if the S4 was on sale hahahah
Been hunting down the old S3 and the S4 ...

Curiosity

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
Dude I like your build.

Hows your CPU temps with that wall of VRMs and the RAM kinda walling in your NHL9i?
I'm not home this weekend so I can't test just for you until Monday, but as far as I remember I don't break 68C in regular use (OW, GR: Wildlands, I think I ran p95 for 10 minutes once)
Idle is 45-50C I think.
Noise levels are super good, imo.
I'll get more definite numbers for you on Monday. :)

Reactions: CubanLegend

Curiosity

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
@CubanLegend Sorry for the delay, I kept forgetting to get those numbers, mostly.

browsing the web right now (Youtube, 12 tabs, nothing major) I'm seeing 46C on the CPU and 43C on the GPU, can't hear the computer at all.
Playing overwatch for a couple roundsd I'm seeing 56C max on the CPU and 72C max on the GPU. Still silent/ near inaudible.

After idling a bit because GR:wildlands had a big update and I wanted to use it for testing I'm at 45C CPU and 40C GPU.

Definitely audible but not unpleasant playing GR:W., and I'm looking at about 61C CPU and 76C GPU.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Interesting, seems little hot for the i5, so the NHL9i being walled in is probably affecting those temps, but the fact that it's inaudible at idle, and near inaudible is most games is probably your big plus. And those gaming temps are SUPER NICE for an i5 thats walled in like that.

Not to hijack your thread, but to put things into perspective:
My 7700k is idling between 35-45c browsing the web with tons of tabs and youtube videos in 4K. My CPU's idle heavily depends on my room's ambient, as my room fluctuates from 70f to 76f (21-24c), when the A/C is on it's great tho since my room's Vent/Drop is aimed/angled RIGHT AT my S4 Mini XD. My GPU when idling can be from 28c-34c in web browsing too. And ever since I added that low RPM BIOS mod on my 1080mini, boy is it super quiet. My a9x14 CPU fan is the loudest fan in my system and it's whisper quiet, the loudest thing at idle is the momentary spin up of the 2x 2.5inch HDDs in my S4, it's crazy how quiet the system is now.

Oh! I should probably mention that my GPU is set to adaptive performance in the NVIDIA Drivers, so it downclocks itself when idle, and it's memory is OC'ed to 11GBPs (+10% over the stock 10GBps effective clock). and has NO PROBLEM in games with that "adaptive performance" setting, as it will GPUBoost 3.0 it's way up to 2050MHz core and 11GBPs mem, no problem, barely touching 70c unless its a sustained GPU intensive section in WD2 or Zelda BoTW in 4K, in which case it might hit 73c momentarily. And my CPU will seemingly downvolt itself when idle as well, as I have c-states on in the BIOS, but I also have Intel's Turboboost on, AND I have it set in windows power setting for the CPU's miminum power state to be 100% clockspeed, so it's kinda crazy how I'm able to see it idle at the 4.5GHz turbo freq somehow (lol?), WHILE downvolting itself when idling, and keeping itself near 35c at times...

At least you know if you ever plan to upgrade, you can go my route and have an i7-K chip, ;) a nice Mobo with built in dual M.2 ;) and if you drop the VRM heatsinks, you can increase your airflow and drop CPU temps. ;)

So far my FAVORITE thing about This Kaby Lake chip (since one of the gaols of this build it 4K HDR Bluray playback) is how it EATS THROUGH h.264 and h.265 HEVC encodes, its amazing, playing a 4K or even 4K HDR Bluray rip barely touches 6-8% CPU usage and the GPU is untouched. (4K BR DRM hasn't been cracked yet, and 4K UHD Bluray drives for PC arent out yet, so i have to resort to DLing a high quality Rip of my physical 4K BR collection until the DRMs cracked and I can then begin ripping ALL my physical 4k HDR discs, so i dont have to lug around a separate 4K HDR BR Player, and can store my discs :D ) It's amazing how quiet it is even during super high 50MBPs video playback. Now if i start to crank up the MadVR upscaling filters in MediaPlayerClassic (for top-notch "old-school DVD" 480p to 4K upsampling), then the GPU and CPU might get pushed a bit, but it's totally within bearable temps.

Anyways, I'm happy your system is working for you, and I hope whoever you sell your S4 to (once you get your ModMini) will give your S4 a good home. :D