File this in the rumor category. Tech Powerup has reported that agrams have leaked showing potential cross compatibility between AM4 and AM5 for CPU coolers. The leak was via tech Twitter account Ulysses, and showed several diagrams indicated that AM5 is far closer in design to AM4 than TR4.

Here is a link to the Tech Powerup article.

Here is the link to the Twitter post.

Edit: Fixed a grammar mistake. I shouldn’t write when I have a migraine…

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
That is good news for people that already have AM4 coolers. Thing I like is it looks like they are using a latching mechanism like Intel, that should keep from pulling the CPU out with the cooler.

Reactions: BaK and Revenant

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It's also expected to be LGA type socket like Intel, it's often said this makes boards more expensive. Mostly the low-end boards would be impacted though.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Another big F-you to Intel ever-changing socket and cooler compatibility in the last 6-7 years 😍 . This means when I make the jump from AM4 to the best and latest AM5 CPU (4-5 years down the line), my current water block is still compatible. Awesome!

jughead0

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2021
Another big F-you to Intel ever-changing socket and cooler compatibility in the last 6-7 years 😍 . This means when I make the jump from AM4 to the best and latest AM5 CPU (4-5 years down the line), my current water block is still compatible. Awesome!
I think you can swap coolers between 1155, v2 and 1200, more often than not.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Here's hoping the 170W TDP is a more realistic differentiation and increases performance per core instead of adding more cores. 16 cores is already too much for 99,9% of users, that's where Threadripper with more I/O and memory bandwidth is for in my opinion.

Reactions: thelaughingman

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Here's hoping the 170W TDP is a more realistic differentiation and increases performance per core instead of adding more cores. 16 cores is already too much for 99,9% of users, that's where Threadripper with more I/O and memory bandwidth is for in my opinion.
Agree. My 5950X on water already ramps to 220W with PBO. IMO 16 cores is more than enough for AM5, AMD only needs to keep pushing IPC, core clocks and software optimisation. 24 cores and up is obviously HEDT territory, i.e. Threadripper

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
It's also expected to be LGA type socket like Intel, it's often said this makes boards more expensive. Mostly the low-end boards would be impacted though.
Big problem was turds like Newegg, for years, were taking LAGA boards sent back for (unrelated) RMA....and mashing the LGA pins and blaming users for it and sending dead boards with mashed sockets back. I still no longer shop with those turds because of that.

• Wow
Reactions: thelaughingman

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Big problem was turds like Newegg, for years, were taking LAGA boards sent back for (unrelated) RMA....and mashing the LGA pins and blaming users for it and sending dead boards with mashed sockets back. I still no longer shop with those turds because of that.
Oh? First I heard of this.

Plagueis

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 19, 2021
While Intel indeed changed sockets quite a bit, most coolers that you could use with the Sandy/Ivy Bridge LGA1155 remained compatible with LGA1150 (Haswell, Broadwell), LGA1151 (Skylake, Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake) and LGA1200.

Not to mention the changes between their LGA775 and LGA1151 were insignificant enough that many coolers from the LGA1155 era and beyond supported the LGA775 platform as well.

Credit where credit is due.

Reactions: Phuncz

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Oh? First I heard of this.
That was back in 2010 or so maybe. It became so common place that it became common practice for RMAs of LGA boards being sent to NewEgg were advised on places like [H]ard|Forum and OCN to always take high-resolution photos of LGA sockets right before mailing. They lost a ton of IT business from that clever stunt to avoid RMA of LGA motherboards.

haflux

Case Bender
New User
Aug 23, 2021
Oh man I was wondering this a few weeks ago. I recently bought a L12S and wasn't sure if it was future proofed but now I'm at ease.

Plagueis

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 19, 2021
Oh man I was wondering this a few weeks ago. I recently bought a L12S and wasn't sure if it was future proofed but now I'm at ease.
Frankly, with Noctua you don't have to worry about any of that – as long as they have a compatible mounting kit, they will happily supply it to you. You'll only need to give them proof of purchase of your cooler.

haflux

Case Bender
New User
Aug 23, 2021
Frankly, with Noctua you don't have to worry about any of that – as long as they have a compatible mounting kit, they will happily supply it to you. You'll only need to give them proof of purchase of your cooler.
Fair enough. Noctua's a pretty reliable brand.