Motherboard Raven Ridge HDMI 2.0 Compatibility — 1st Gen AM4 Motherboard Test Request Megathread

arshavin12

Efficiency Noob
Mar 18, 2018
Asus are releasing new motherboards to note the Asus Rog Strix X470-I Gaming (mini-ITX) which appears to be listed with a hdmi 2.0b port (specifications tab)
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asu...-m2-intel-gbe-ac-wifi-bt-usb-31-gen2-a-mi?v=c

Gigabyte (X470 AORUS) and MSI (X470 GAMING) have also released ATX boards, however, I can only see the Gigabyte boards listed with hdmi 2.0!

ASRock are also releasing the Fatal1ty X470 Gaming-ITX/ac amongst other ATX boards but they haven't revealed the full details yet so could be a 2.0 port!

Last edited:

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
Original poster
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Asus are releasing new motherboards to note the Asus Rog Strix X470-I Gaming (mini-ITX) which appears to be listed with a hdmi 2.0b port (specifications tab)
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asu...-m2-intel-gbe-ac-wifi-bt-usb-31-gen2-a-mi?v=c

Gigabyte (X470 AORUS) and MSI (X470 GAMING) have also released ATX boards, however, I can only see the Gigabyte boards listed with hdmi 2.0!

ASRock are also releasing the Fatal1ty X470 Gaming-ITX/ac amongst other ATX boards but they haven't revealed the full details yet so could be a 2.0 port!
Yes. In the meantime, anyone who wants to save money and still have HDMI 2.0, the 300-series motherboards with HDMI ports are also fully working. Since the B450 motherboards are coming out later, I would say to either hold out or save.

Last edited:

jaxter

Chassis Packer
Mar 20, 2018
Yes. In the meantime, anyone who wants to save money and still have HDMI 2.0, the 300-series motherboards with HDMI ports are also fully working. Since the B450 motherboards are coming out later, I would say to either hold out or save.

All great news for sure, what i want to see is hdmi 2.1 implemented in motherboards now after seeing the first bit of AV kit with it the Yamaha RX-V385 (suprisingly Budget) receiver has been announced with the spec.

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
Original poster
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
All great news for sure, what i want to see is hdmi 2.1 implemented in motherboards now after seeing the first bit of AV kit with it the Yamaha RX-V385 (suprisingly Budget) receiver has been announced with the spec.
In the case of Raven Ridge on AM4, it turns out that it is the processor that governs the video ports’ capabilities (that is, all HDMI, DVI and DP ports are hardwired to the processor’s video output). Raven Ridge supports HDMI 2.1 and this has/will be enabled in the Catalyst drivers (see below). So just as we have found here in this thread that all HDMI 2.0 features also work without a problem, the same physical HDMI ports on 300-series current generation motherboard “should” work with HDMI 2.1 as well barring any funny business from surrounding board circuitry. Again, YMMV and I cannot guarantee this at all so don’t sue me if your VRR monitor catches fire and goes up in flames or if a sudden graphical storm of pixel dust makes you lose in the last round at the world gaming championship. ;)

Sources:

https://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/ces-2018-2018jan07.aspx
https://www.techhive.com/article/32...21-low-down-dont-dump-your-legacy-cables.html

HomeDope

Cable Smoosher
Apr 22, 2018
Hi there. Can someone help me a bit.
What is the cheapest motherboard which supports HDR and 4k @60hz (and 12 bit / well the best possible you can get with 2200g)

Thanks a ton!

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Apr 20, 2018
Cheapest, or cheapest ITX? As is explained in the thread and other posts, as long as the motherboard has an HDMI 1.4 connector, HDMI 2.0 (and therefore 4k@60Hz) will "almost certainly" work when paired with a Raven Ridge CPU.
However DisplayPort 1.2 --also- supports 4k@60Hz so if your monitor/TV has DP, you're good to go. If it's HDMI-only then you need some kind of active adapter. A straight pin-out converter won't work, btw.

Cheapest ITX, at least where I live, is the Biostar Racing X370, ironically. Close second is the ASRock AB350 ITX. There are plenty of A320 boards in uATX at around half the price of the two I mentioned, and they should also fit the bill if their BIOSs have been updated to support the Raven Ridge CPUs.

HomeDope

Cable Smoosher
Apr 22, 2018
Sorry I meant m-atx or m-itx. Do HDMI2.0 always support hdr? Planning to create htpc :)

Last edited:

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Apr 20, 2018
I would expect so. I'm not an expert on the 'bits' side of things but I do know mine is running 4k @60Hz 4:4:4 and your socket will be identical.

VeganWarrior69

Cable Smoosher
May 22, 2018
I’ve just ordered a strix mini x470 along with a 2400g and an Inwin Chopin. Most definitely overkill for an htpc but wanted a bit of future proofing and guaranteed hdmi 2.0 b. Will post again once build is complete.

dlaccc

What's an ITX?
May 25, 2018
I’ve just ordered a strix mini x470 along with a 2400g and an Inwin Chopin. Most definitely overkill for an htpc but wanted a bit of future proofing and guaranteed hdmi 2.0 b. Will post again once build is complete.
Cool mate, I am planning to build an Asrock x470 +2400G in a Realan E-I5 case.. and stick a 8TB ironwolf in it :p

VeganWarrior69

Cable Smoosher
May 22, 2018
Proper update to follow shortly.
Build is complete and seems to be working well at 4k 60Hz 4:4:4.

Been a long time since I built a PC and had huge issues installing Win 10 on the Nvme SSD. My inexperience using one really showed Hehe. Pretty sure I still haven't set up the BIOS correctly but will ask for some guidance in the follow up POST.

Anyone know of some good test video file or programs to really test the HTC functionality?

HomeDope

Cable Smoosher
Apr 22, 2018
Proper update to follow shortly.
Build is complete and seems to be working well at 4k 60Hz 4:4:4.

Been a long time since I built a PC and had huge issues installing Win 10 on the Nvme SSD. My inexperience using one really showed Hehe. Pretty sure I still haven't set up the BIOS correctly but will ask for some guidance in the follow up POST.

Anyone know of some good test video file or programs to really test the HTC functionality?

https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples

VeganWarrior69

Cable Smoosher
May 22, 2018
Thanks HomeDope. Will try them out in due course.

PC is finished now. I messed up the Thermal Pad for the M2 SSD so had to get a new one which makes
a massive difference to the temps when applied properly. I also bought a 40mm Noctua fan and have just
placed it on top of the SSD Heat sink just to be sure. Turned the RPM way down so can't hear it.

The Inwin Chopin case is a real beauty and am pleased with it so far save for the issues I have with the output which I'll explain below.

I have finally plugged the PC into my own LG 49SJ800V 4K HDR TV(Was plugged into a Samsung 1080p one before) and have
now stumbled across a problem.

The Radeon Control Panel will not allow me to select 4:4:4 output (Although it is accepting the 4K 60Hz) or any other format except 4:2:0 and Windows 10 won't let me select HDR. Also I can't select 10bit colour.
Keeps flicking back to 4:2:0 in the Radeon Control Panel and 8bit Colour, and in windows the toggle just goes back to off.

I believe there is a setting on my TV somewhere to allow it but I can't find it.
It is possible my TV doesn't support 4K ^0Hz 4:4:4 but it should do.
I know the LG 55SJ850V does.

Does anyone know a way to force 4:4:4 output or if there is a specific HDMI input on the TV that I need to use?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also does anyone know the best settings for Media Player Classic for the best decoding?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. it's weird because the Samsung TV that it was plugged into before is an older model but had no issues
with 4:4:4 and 10bit colour. It was at 1080p though.

Inwin Chopin
Ryzen 2400g
Samsung EVO 970 250Gb
16Gb Corsair Vengeance 3000
Noctua L9-AM4
2 x Sata HDDs

pulp_party

Cable Smoosher
Mar 19, 2018
Thanks HomeDope. Will try them out in due course.

PC is finished now. I messed up the Thermal Pad for the M2 SSD so had to get a new one which makes
a massive difference to the temps when applied properly. I also bought a 40mm Noctua fan and have just
placed it on top of the SSD Heat sink just to be sure. Turned the RPM way down so can't hear it.

The Inwin Chopin case is a real beauty and am pleased with it so far save for the issues I have with the output which I'll explain below.

I have finally plugged the PC into my own LG 49SJ800V 4K HDR TV(Was plugged into a Samsung 1080p one before) and have
now stumbled across a problem.

The Radeon Control Panel will not allow me to select 4:4:4 output (Although it is accepting the 4K 60Hz) or any other format except 4:2:0 and Windows 10 won't let me select HDR. Also I can't select 10bit colour.
Keeps flicking back to 4:2:0 in the Radeon Control Panel and 8bit Colour, and in windows the toggle just goes back to off.

I believe there is a setting on my TV somewhere to allow it but I can't find it.
It is possible my TV doesn't support 4K ^0Hz 4:4:4 but it should do.
I know the LG 55SJ850V does.

Does anyone know a way to force 4:4:4 output or if there is a specific HDMI input on the TV that I need to use?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also does anyone know the best settings for Media Player Classic for the best decoding?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. it's weird because the Samsung TV that it was plugged into before is an older model but had no issues
with 4:4:4 and 10bit colour. It was at 1080p though.

Inwin Chopin
Ryzen 2400g
Samsung EVO 970 250Gb
16Gb Corsair Vengeance 3000
Noctua L9-AM4
2 x Sata HDDs

Try this:
All common resolutions are supported. 4k @ 60 Hz @ 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 color is only supported when 'HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color' is enabled for the port used. 4:4:4 color is only displayed properly when the input's icon is set to 'PC' (aka PC mode). With webOS update 3.6 LG has fixed the PC mode HDR issue, so now 4:4:4 color is properly displayed in HDR content in PC mode. 120 Hz is listed as a possible resolution on a PC, so no custom resolution is needed.

I read it from here, read the settings page to know how to configure it:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/sj8500/settings

VeganWarrior69

Cable Smoosher
May 22, 2018
Thanks PP. I had already read that review and instructions on the rtings website. However I can’t work out how to access it through the LG Menu options that come up on my TV. I tried messing around with it this morning but no luck. I’ll keep trying though.

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Apr 20, 2018
These are my options when playing with the Radeon Settings:

4:4:4 8bit only
4:2:2 8bit only
4:2:0 8-10-12 bit.

HDR seems to be a toggle at the 8bit setting but forced on if you choose 10 or 12bit (makes sense). And it'll switch off if I choose 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 8bit. 4:4:4 8 seems to be the exception, I can have HDR either on or off on that settings.

But as I mentioned in another thread, HDR is very unstable, Chrome crashes on youtube, VLC crashes after a minute or so, or sometimes immediately, and BSODs are common also. Interested to hear how you get on.