Motherboard Raven Ridge HDMI 2.0 Compatibility — 1st Gen AM4 Motherboard Test Request Megathread

coeusite

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2018
I can confirm that ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac is working on my side. With R5 2400G, it provides 4K@60fps output in both WIndows 10 and Fedora 27, though Fedora incorrectly recognizes the GPU as "Vega 8 Mobile".

I would check functionalities of RGB 4:4:4, HDR and Freesync in Windows 10 later, but I am gonna solve NVMe issues of this motherboard first. The BIOS does not recognize my Plextor M8Pe, but a Toshiba XG3 is working just fine. Additionally, Fedora does not recognize NVMe devices which might be a driver issue.

Last edited:

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
Original poster
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Thanks, @coeusite!

I would check functionalities of RGB 4:4:4, HDR and Freesync in Windows 10 later, but I am gonna solve NVMe issues of this motherboard first. The BIOS does not recognize my Plextor M8Pe, but a Toshiba XG3 is working just fine. Additionally, Fedora does not recognize NVMe devices which might be a driver issue.

You might want to check out their latest beta BIOS, version 4.43, which is available for both the AB350 and X370 variants since it provides the newest version of AGESA. In particular, it appears to have fixed the NVMe issues many like yourself have experienced with Raven Ridge as described here.

Reactions: Phuncz and coeusite

coeusite

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2018
Thanks, @coeusite!

You might want to check out their latest beta BIOS, version 4.43, which is available for both the AB350 and X370 variants since it provides the newest version of AGESA. In particular, it appears to have fixed the NVMe issues many like yourself have experienced with Raven Ridge as described here.

Thank you! It does solve all my NVMe problem!

Stefan75

Efficiency Noob
Feb 14, 2018
cellarcinema.info
Reactions: Hifihedgehog

Frung

Chassis Packer
Mar 1, 2018
I was looking at that board... thought the X370 was a typo.. stupid board name ;)
What OS are you using? Any stability issues/problems?

Just got it yesterday, Win 10 64bit. Booted right up in a previously installed os. With 2x4GB HyperX Predator 3200, got XMP2 to work, XMP1 didn't want to work, but I haven't had the time to fiddle with it more. I'll try OCing the GPU for kicks after work today.

coeusite

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2018
Does anyone have success with FreeSync? It turns out my monitor only supports FreeSync over DP and my mb only has HDMI ports, so I cannot test it.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
FreeSync over HDMI is a totally different implementation, requiring support of it on both the GPU (possible through driver update) and screen (needs to have the support) I'm afraid. I don't see it working with adapters either.

arshavin12

Efficiency Noob
Mar 18, 2018
Hi everyone, I'm looking to build for the first time and it will be a mini ITX HTPC which will be connected to a Samsung KS7500. I've got my eyes set on the Ryzen 2400G and the Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WIFI. My understanding is that a possible BIOS update maybe required but I will be able to display 4K@60Hz with HDR enabled? Currently I local stream 4K video over to the Plex app on the television and it displays this with HDR. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hifihedgehog

Original poster
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Hi everyone, I'm looking to build for the first time and it will be a mini ITX HTPC which will be connected to a Samsung KS7500. I've got my eyes set on the Ryzen 2400G and the Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WIFI. My understanding is that a possible BIOS update maybe required but I will be able to display 4K@60Hz with HDR enabled? Currently I local stream 4K video over to the Plex app on the television and it displays this with HDR. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Yes, a compatible, updated BIOS is required to use an AMD Raven Ridge processor (Ryzen 5 2400G or Ryzen 3 2200G) on a 300-series AM4 motherboard. As long as the motherboard package bears an “AMD Ryzen Desktop 2000 Ready” sticker on it, then it already comes pre-updated from the factory. At this point in time, per my recent communications with ASRock at least, most if not all of NewEgg’s stock of motherboards should have come preloaded with an updated compatible BIOS. Regarding 4K and HDR, 4K at 60Hz over HDMI 2.0 has worked successfully on all Raven Ridge systems on the list so far. No one has specifically tried HDR, sadly, but I would imagine it would work since the processor specifically lists it, not to mention that all Vega-based AMD graphics in general support 12-bit HDR. The caveat: barring any surprises, it should work as long as you are not playing HDCP 2.2-protected HDR content (e.g. Netflix). That protected content will be supported in a future AMD graphics driver release featuring PlayReady 3.0, which is slated for Q2 (April through June) 2018.

Last edited:

jaxter

Chassis Packer
Mar 20, 2018
Hi all
I've been using a mini itx build with an old Amd Apu for many years, alas I upgraded to the beautiful lg 4k hdr b6 the TV, therefore I had to drop in an 1030gt to get 4k hdr playback now I have about 2 TB of locally stored 10 bit 4k hdr mkvs.
The 1030gt struggles to play about 40% of this content, worst still because of the addition of the 1030 I now have the ugliest gigantic case plopped on my floor it is truly gross but I was desperate and it was cheap.
I always intended to upgrade to Raven Ridge to take me from 1080p playback to 4k in my beloved itx case, I've been eyeing up the 2400g but cannot get a definitive answer on whether it gives flawless 4k hdr playback on unprotected UHD blu ray rips.
I am not concerned with streaming as the TV handles all of this beautifully.
I've considered a neat little media player but I love my multi purpose htpc and no media player will give me that snappy performance I'm used to from a htpc,
Thanks

Hifihedgehog

Original poster
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
I always intended to upgrade to Raven Ridge to take me from 1080p playback to 4k in my beloved itx case, I've been eyeing up the 2400g but cannot get a definitive answer on whether it gives flawless 4k hdr playback on unprotected UHD blu ray rips.

I should be able to answer this shortly as I will have a family member’s 2400G HTPC up and running likely by the end of this weekend. We are just waiting on the last couple of parts—a Streacom FC8 and an Intel Wireless-AC 8265 Wi-Fi card—scheduled to arrive this Wednesday and Thursday. Worst case scenario, I can confirm that MadVR and MPC-HC does work to translate HDR to SDR even on as low-end of a system as a 7th Gen i5 NUC (it works on a New Surface Pro i5 I have access to which has the same processor). PM me if you need help getting it to work on your current system.

jaxter

Chassis Packer
Mar 20, 2018
I should be able to answer this shortly as I will have a family member’s 2400G HTPC up and running likely by the end of this weekend. We are just waiting on the last couple of parts—a Streacom FC8 and an Intel Wireless-AC 8265 Wi-Fi card—scheduled to arrive this Wednesday and Thursday. Worst case scenario, I can confirm that MadVR and MPC-HC does work to translate HDR to SDR even on as low-end of a system as a 7th Gen i5 NUC (it works on a New Surface Pro i5 I have access to which has the same processor). PM me if you need help getting it to work on your current system.

I eagerly await your report, I can't believe these chips have been out this long and I just can't find the answer.
The pc component prices are ridiculously high to be taking a gamble and with the premium added by going mini itx and small premium case I don't want to be gambling on the outcome.
I'm itching to get this build done but have showed restraint until getting this info
Cheers

arshavin12

Efficiency Noob
Mar 18, 2018
Look forward to hearing the feedback too. Originally I was looking to build with a Coffee Lake i3-8100 with a GTX1050TI in the Silverstone RVZ02. I was considering the GTX1030 but sounds like that wouldn't be powerful enough now. Preferably though I'd like to go with the 2400G as it frees up space for future hard drives upgrades!

Last edited:

Hifihedgehog

Original poster
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
I eagerly await your report, I can't believe these chips have been out this long and I just can't find the answer.
The pc component prices are ridiculously high to be taking a gamble and with the premium added by going mini itx and small premium case I don't want to be gambling on the outcome.
I'm itching to get this build done but have showed restraint until getting this info
Cheers
You’re welcome. I have The Bridge on the River Kwai and Coco (the later of which my family currently has to use HDR-to-SDR conversion on in MadVR) to test with so I can most definitely test this out and see how everything fares. I was hoping for an early UPS Ground delivery for the Streacom case since it has been literally four hours away from my house, sitting in a hub since Monday afternoon. But as luck would have it, it probably will end up not coming until its scheduled Thursday delivery date, so I will just have to bottle up all my excitement until then. :) I am extremely excited for this build, especially given the fully passive cooling nature of it all which will make it dead silent (meaning no whizzing fans to speak of!).

Last edited: