Motherboard Raven Ridge HDMI 2.0 Compatibility — 1st Gen AM4 Motherboard Test Request Megathread

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Got the 2400G running on the Gigabyte AB350N using an A6-9500 to update the BIOS.

Running Windows off an M2 SSD and it feels super zippy so far.

Regarding HDMI 2.0, I forgot that the 4k monitor I have is only HDMI 1.4, I've been using Display port for 4k @ 60hz, so unfortunately I cant test the HDMI 2.0 aspect just yet!

It is outputting 2160p @ 30hz though.

Too bad that you can't use HDMI 2.0 to the fullest because of your monitor. I have the same mobo as you, mainly bought it for the Wi-Fi and DisplayPort so I can upgrade my monitor/TV combo that only does HDMI, to a FreeSync monitor. I don't even use the TV functions of the monitor. It was an impulse buy at CostCo :p

How long ago did you buy your motherboard? I really hope the BIOS on mine is current enough to just pop in the Ryzen+Vega APU without needing a workaround.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Too bad that you can't use HDMI 2.0 to the fullest because of your monitor. I have the same mobo as you, mainly bought it for the Wi-Fi and DisplayPort so I can upgrade my monitor/TV combo that only does HDMI, to a FreeSync monitor. I don't even use the TV functions of the monitor. It was an impulse buy at CostCo :p

How long ago did you buy your motherboard? I really hope the BIOS on mine is current enough to just pop in the Ryzen+Vega APU without needing a workaround.

I bought it on Monday at the same time as the 2400G, it came with the original BIOS.

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
Original poster
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Warning to Linux users: Since Linux checks the BIOS tables for the explicitly coded support as defined by the manufacturer, HDMI 2.0 does not work in Linux. This is despite the fact that the hardware itself is more than capable. Details below:

No exactly true. There are physical requirements for various HDMI versions. The OEM has to validate the port for the version of HDMI they want to support. The driver checks the connector tables in the bios provided by the OEM to determine what connectors are present and what they support.
The Linux driver since some months ago checks those tables, any refuses to utilize HDMI 2.0 features offered by the GPU/APU, even if they work just fine and the manufacturer was just too lazy to "validate" or to update his BIOS image.

Meanwhile the Windows drivers don't give a d*** about that BIOS table and HDMI 2.0 works like advertised for the affected GPUs.

This is clearly (like with ACPI-parsing for so many years) another case of "Linux kernel developers want to do 'the right thing' according to written specification", with just bad results for Linux users because neither Windows drivers nor the firmware follows the written specification.

Source:
https://www.phoronix.com/forums/for...-some-motherboards-bios?p=1008853#post1008853

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Warning to Linux users: Since Linux checks the BIOS tables for the explicitly coded support as defined by the manufacturer, HDMI 2.0 does not work in Linux. This is despite the fact that the hardware itself is more than capable. Details below:

Source:
https://www.phoronix.com/forums/for...-some-motherboards-bios?p=1008853#post1008853
Read that earlier today and internally facepalmed. It really sucks as someone who uses Linux on a daily basis for their productivity and gaming needs.

Last edited:

gwilly7

Cable Smoosher
Feb 13, 2018
That blows, I usually use Libreelec. At least the board I bought was only 55 bucks open box with a $15 rebate so won't be such a big deal if I have to get a new board soon.

Last edited:

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
Original poster
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Last edited:

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Problematic linux drivers from AMD. Well I never, whoever would have thought it.
Excuse me whist I go to check my calendar, I'm not sure if its 2008 or 2018.

Yes, I am well aware Nvidia do a piss poor job of linux drivers too in their own special way, that doesnt mean I dont wish AMD would get this shit together. AMD's next new Linux strategy is going to be amazing is a story I've seen touted over and over again for the last 12 years or so now. I want to believe.

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Problematic linux drivers from AMD. Well I never, whoever would have thought it.
Excuse me whist I go to check my calander, I'm not sure if its 2008 or 2018.

Yes, I am well aware Nvidia do a piss poor job of linux drivers too in their own special way, that doesnt mean I dont wish AMD would get this shit together. AMD's next new Linux stratergy is going to be amazing is a story I've seen touted over and over again for the last 12 years or so now.
Definitely understandable viewpoint which I agree with as well.

The fact that we have an AMD open-source driver stack on Linux that performs as well as it does is pretty amazing compared to even a few years ago. The issue I really have with all of this is that when VEGA launched, the drivers were ready and worked OOB. The issue most likely still is the DC code (massive) which enables FreeSync and audio output as it was with VEGA. Raven Ridge should have been simple given the lead time that they had on it too.

At least NVidia finally started doing open-source as well, even if it is only on TEGRA.

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

atf

What's an ITX?
Feb 23, 2018
I'd like to chime in and confirm the GIGABYTE GA-A320M-S2H mATX Mainboard(with Ryzen 3 2200G) to be able to fully support 4k@60Hz over the HDMI connection. I've tested the HDMI connection to a Samsung U28E590D HDMI Port 2 (Port1 on that monitor only does 30Hz). Both the AMD driver and the Monitors OSD Information confirm 60Hz.
Just in case anyone is wondering about the cheapo Mainboards.
Thanks for making this thread.

EDIT: Adding detail:
Freesync is not supported w/ Samsung U28E590D
Depth is 8 bpc only
RGB 4:4:4 is working

Last edited: