Question regarding Custom HDPlex cables

Tact1calBeard

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Hi,

I want to make some custom cables for my HDPlex 300w. I want to use 16AWG wire, is this okay or should I use thicker/thinner wire?

would be nice if somebody could help me. =)

BR,
Beard

GreatestUnKnown

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 30, 2016
16 AWG should be fine. Various mfgs use different shielding thickness which may have potential connector/crimp compatibility concerns but unless your wire has an external OD exceeding 2.5mm I don't see any issue.

Reactions: Colinreay

Tact1calBeard

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Ok, thank you! I have made some custon cables for my girlfriends Corsair SF600 in her Ncase M1 and have plenty of wire and correct pins left

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
16AWG is more than enough, 18AWG would almost certainly work too unless you're doing some crazy wiring.

Anything thicker than 16AWG is a waste of time for the wattages and cable lengths we're dealing with.

Reactions: Colinreay

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 28, 2016
16AWG is more than enough, 18AWG would almost certainly work too unless you're doing some crazy wiring.

Anything thicker than 16AWG is a waste of time for the wattages and cable lengths we're dealing with.

Is it possible to crimp 14AWG wire with the Molex Service Grade crimper? I can understand the potential benefits in huge system (like a Caselabs STH10), but don't know if the potential current benefits would make it feasible if it was also a PIA to work with.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The Molex crimper doesn't support 14AWG.

But yeah, it'd be a total pain to work with even with crimpers that could do it.