Q58 CPU Cooler advice

faqinator

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Dec 18, 2022
Hey, I've been looking around for an air cooler for my R5 5600G in a Lian Li Q58 build and landed on the ID Cooling IS-60 EVO as it seems to be one of the only decent budget coolers available where I am (from my research, a close second seems to be the IS-50X V2). However, from what I understand, I should be getting a backplate mounting kit as this is especially a problem on the amd mounting system.
My problem is that I can't find any cheap backplate mounting kit - all the recommended one's are either not available or are being imported, leading to high shipping costs.

Is there a way to use the stock AMD Wraith Stealth backplate? Would it be fine to run this cooler without a backplate?
If not, what cooler would you recommend?
(Before you recommend them, the Scythe Big Shuriken 3 is not available and the Alpenfohn Black Ridge has been out of stock for months, but I think my RAM is too tall anyway)

faqinator

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Dec 18, 2022
What about the thermalright AXP120-X67? Seems to be a perfect fit.
Thanks for the suggestion, this reddit post suggests it's going to be a pain to install (I have tall RAM and the same motherboard, and installing the motherboard with the stock AMD cooler in this case was hard enough for me already lol). It does cost a bit more than I'd like due to import fees, but I'll keep on eye on it in case I don't find anything better.