Putting a HP elitedesk 800 g1 sff Psu into a g2 for extra 40w?

Scooby

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
May 21, 2020
Couple weeks ago I got myself a HP elitedesk 800 g2 ssf with i5-6500 16gb/256gb ssd/2tb HD for what I think was a pretty good deal ($180). I couldn't stand my prior Lenovo all in one with a g2020 & 4gb ram. Took 10 minutes to boot, and several seconds to switch between tabs! It's mostly been a seed box the last 5 years. The hp g2 came with a standard 200w PSU and the G1 came with a 240w PSU. As I understand it, the G1 used a 4th Gen CPU, which uses more power than 6th Gen CPU 's in the HP g2 version, which is why they started to use lower power PSUs. I've looked up the PSUs from g1 and the came in 3 flavors (standard, 90%, and 92% efficiency). I ordered a 92% 240w off the Bay for $15 in the hopes it will give me another 40w, allowing me to install a MSI GTX 1650 (which uses 75w pcie power). I've read where g1 (240w) and g2 (200w) users had no problem using their existing PSU and had no problems using a 1050ti/1650 without doing anything. I couldn't find anyone who ever swapped the 200w for the 240w, but I assume it should fit/work being that the ssf cases are the same and the PSU is by HP(exact same cables)? And that it would be superior for stability/longevity do to less stress on the PSU due to the higher wattage and efficiency. Should I just stick with a GT 1030 that uses 30w? I'll swap the PSU regardless, because my 200w stock one is the 'standard' and my newer one will be 240w 'Platinum' unless someone tells me I shouldn't. Thanks for any help.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hello.

i5-6500 is a 65w CPU. If we add 75w of the 1650, total is 140w. Adding motherboard, 1 or 2 fans, and 1 or 2 hard drive, a 240w PSU should be able to easily handle them (Unless you use many USB 3 devices with high wattage requirement).

And if possible, you can turn off Intel's Turbo Boost. The CPU won't reach the advertised turbo speed, but it use less watt & give you much better temperature.

Reactions: Scooby

Scooby

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
May 21, 2020
Hello.

i5-6500 is a 65w CPU. If we add 75w of the 1650, total is 140w. Adding motherboard, 1 or 2 fans, and 1 or 2 hard drive, a 240w PSU should be able to easily handle them (Unless you use many USB 3 devices with high wattage requirement).

And if possible, you can turn off Intel's Turbo Boost. The CPU won't reach the advertised turbo speed, but it use less watt & give you much better temperature.
Thank you for the reply! I've seen a YouTube guy(s) put in a 1650/1050 in the g1 (with a 4th Gen i7-4770) and hadn't any problems. It had 80k views and 400 comments (all of which I read). There were maybe a dozen commenter testifying to a successful upgrade. There were, maybe 3, that had some kind of issue. The OP addressed them and none ever responded again. Being that they are over a year old, I'll take no news as good news. So I'm hopeful, and will update my success/failure in a few days after my beefier (240w LOL) comes in. I'm sure the 80 PLUS platinum rating won't hurt, my current one couldn't even meet the standards to get bronze. Unless HP saves money by not getting the certification for their standard parts. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond!

Reactions: ignsvn and Arboreal

Scooby

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
May 21, 2020
Do you mind sharing the link?
Bottom two pretty much the same video, just on different models. I listed them for search index purposes for others with this same quandary:
* (hp elitedesk 800 g1/g2 ssf)
* (hp elite 8100/8200/8300)h
This is a video, same guy and most intriguing regarding PSU's:
* ttps://youtu.be/FHtlk-re_ss (is a 300w psu necessary?)

I'll be doing my, Frankenstein operation on Monday when my more powerful PSU (240w! LOL) arrives. *Fingers crossed*

Scooby

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
May 21, 2020
Didn't know I couldn't edit, should have used preview before posting. Sorry about the big YouTube's, should have hyperlinked them to text. Also, the last link is missing the "h" in https, so add that to make it usable.