confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
A rebuild of my NAS/everything server into a proper modern rack chassis. Nothing detailed, just a quick photo shoot and walk thru!

Case: Norco RPC-230 (14.6 Litres!)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16gb kit (to be replaced with 32gb of "normal" DDR4 in the future)
CPU: Pentium G4400
Drives: a selection of SSDs
Power Supply: Corsair 450w Platinum

Excuse the work surface - I was thermal testing the Streacom DA2 on my workbench when I built this. It's static safe, honest! Except the dust and crap floating around from stripping down the last server.. -_-

The case. 2u, short depth, and has a USB3 front panel port. Nice.

Pretty normal for a 2U, here. I should note; I'm a server geek first, SFF second.

Four 3.5" drives, two 80mm fans, SECC steel.

Let's change the fans! Not sure if this is the right way, but it's my way, and my way is best, dammit!

No comment.

Done!

SilverStone's 5.25 to four x 2.5" drive bay. Perfect for my needs here.

Installed. Different shades of grey. Kinky.

Motherboard installed. SilverStone's AR11 cooler.

SFX on ATX bracket - allowing cooling in what would otherwise be a chassis that blocks the intake of a normal ATX PSU.

Installedededed

First PSU cable in, routed under the network card. Front panel cables routed thru the 3.5" bays that I won't be using.

Cables done. Neat, tidy. The blue/white ATX extension is there as the Corsair PSU cables are too short in this layout. It's what I had to hand. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SATA DATA wired.

Racked. I love me a good rack.

One last look before I close the lid. On to software. I won't cover that because I'm a software/OS n00b, really.

Reactions: rfarmer

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
A rebuild of my NAS/everything server into a proper modern rack chassis. Nothing detailed, just a quick photo shoot and walk thru!

Case: Norco RPC-230 (14.6 Litres!)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16gb kit (to be replaced with 32gb of "normal" DDR4 in the future)
CPU: Pentium G4400
Drives: a selection of SSDs
Power Supply: Corsair 450w Platinum

Excuse the work surface - I was thermal testing the Streacom DA2 on my workbench when I built this. It's static safe, honest! Except the dust and crap floating around from stripping down the last server.. -_-

The case. 2u, short depth, and has a USB3 front panel port. Nice.

Pretty normal for a 2U, here. I should note; I'm a server geek first, SFF second.

Four 3.5" drives, two 80mm fans, SECC steel.

Let's change the fans! Not sure if this is the right way, but it's my way, and my way is best, dammit!

No comment.

Done!

SilverStone's 5.25 to four x 2.5" drive bay. Perfect for my needs here.

Installed. Different shades of grey. Kinky.

Motherboard installed. SilverStone's AR11 cooler.

SFX on ATX bracket - allowing cooling in what would otherwise be a chassis that blocks the intake of a normal ATX PSU.

Installedededed

First PSU cable in, routed under the network card. Front panel cables routed thru the 3.5" bays that I won't be using.

Cables done. Neat, tidy. The blue/white ATX extension is there as the Corsair PSU cables are too short in this layout. It's what I had to hand. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SATA DATA wired.

Racked. I love me a good rack.

One last look before I close the lid. On to software. I won't cover that because I'm a software/OS n00b, really.

The G4400 is a home server BEAST. My first PC build is now a server, and it has one of those in it. It's been running 24/7 since mid-2017, stopping once for a dust cleanup, and once because of a power outage.

I hadn't thought about it for a while, but it's overclockable, isn't it? I need to look into that again.

Reactions: confusis

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
IIRC it's not overclockable, but it works for my needs for now. Eventually, I'll slot my 7700T into the server when it's done its dash in my desktop. :D