Log Project Foras - 5700XT inside Skyreach Mini (Brick less)

matador1182

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 16, 2020
I know I'm supposed to be adding to this as the build progresses, but things came up since project conception so I couldn't really document the entire process. Now that the build is complete, I'll attempt to work backwards because I know this is something a lot of you have considered.

The goal of this project was to fit the https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1565842787 into the skyreach mini. It's the perfect width as it'll fit in the case and allow for an hdplex 400 ac-dc to mount underneath allowing for a brick less build. The only problem is it's too long (16mm too long), so part of this project involves machining a custom front bezel shroud to cover this extra length

The other aspect of the build is to deshroud the Rx 5700xt replace the stock 92mm fans with noctua 92mms and make a custom shroud to hold it together

matador1182

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 16, 2020
Ok damn it autocorrect corrected Foras to Dora ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️ hence the shitty name ??. Welp can't be changed so we're going to roll with it.

Here's footage of the parts being machined and what they look like. I messed up on the shroud 2 of the mounting holes don't line up with the case, I had to manually drill and tap these holes but in the end it does work

matador1182

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 16, 2020
Here's what the shroud with the 2 misaligned holes look like

I had a lot of issues cropping up with this build, one of the main ones was the hdplex ac-dc brick covering and being too close to the GPU 8 pin. To get around this I had to make a custom low profile adapter. Initially I was going to mod a 180 degree 8 pin connector but that didn't work, so I wired a low profile 8 pin connector and bent the wires too allow the connector to have just enough clearance between the ac-dc brick

matador1182

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 16, 2020
So without adue here's the finished build. Excuse the bad bed pix, I'll upload better broll soon. But for now

Some things to note, first time sleeving was a b*ch (never again), in hindsight I should've used black sleeving too. I wish both ssd's were black but I just used what I had on hand.

I didn't think the the ac-dc would fit, but it barely fits with a noctua 40mm fan and a g16 connector, it's so tight it doesn't even need screws . I was going to use another noctua 40mm fan for the Strix b450i's vrm but because of its color I just decided to use some small aluminum heatsinks with thermal paste instead.

I'm using vlp ram too, so there's a noctua slim 120mm fan underneath the black ridge.

Closing notes: this was by far the hardest build I've ever undertaken but also the most rewarding. I wanna thank Josh from NFC for the work he put into the case (you begin to appreciate and see a lot of features as u work in it that u didn't realize before). I will be uploading better pictures soon and I do plan on fixing the slight bulge caused by the black ridge cooler hopefully.

Let me know your guys thoughts, and if you have any questions

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
this is an amazing build, Nice work bro! Thank you for sharing the wonderful machining footage, quite interesting and impressive.
So without adue here's the finished build. Excuse the bad bed pix, I'll upload better broll soon. But for now

Some things to note, first time sleeving was a b*ch (never again), in hindsight I should've used black sleeving too. I wish both ssd's were black but I just used what I had on hand.

I didn't think the the ac-dc would fit, but it barely fits with a noctua 40mm fan and a g16 connector, it's so tight it doesn't even need screws . I was going to use another noctua 40mm fan for the Strix b450i's vrm but because of its color I just decided to use some small aluminum heatsinks with thermal paste instead.

I'm using vlp ram too, so there's a noctua slim 120mm fan underneath the black ridge.

Closing notes: this was by far the hardest build I've ever undertaken but also the most rewarding. I wanna thank Josh from NFC for the work he put into the case (you begin to appreciate and see a lot of features as u work in it that u didn't realize before). I will be uploading better pictures soon and I do plan on fixing the slight bulge caused by the black ridge cooler hopefully.

Let me know your guys thoughts, and if you have any questions
that is a TIGHT fit, amazing the Blackridge and the shift bracket are such a tight fit, wow.
-yeah black sleeving or maybe bare wires would be better if you want them to be less thick
-nice work on the aluminum heatsinks on the VRMs
-it sure is tough and rewarding, i know that feeling

best of all is you KEPT and USED the SSD bracket, and you have two 2.5in drives installed, impressive

matador1182

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 16, 2020
this is an amazing build, Nice work bro! Thank you for sharing the wonderful machining footage, quite interesting and impressive.

that is a TIGHT fit, amazing the Blackridge and the shift bracket are such a tight fit, wow.
-yeah black sleeving or maybe bare wires would be better if you want them to be less thick
-nice work on the aluminum heatsinks on the VRMs
-it sure is tough and rewarding, i know that feeling

best of all is you KEPT and USED the SSD bracket, and you have two 2.5in drives installed, impressive

Thanks man!!! Appreciate it! It's a little too tight tho, I don't think I can take it apart ? Not comfortably atleast ?

I didn't use the shift bracket btw, the 5700xt I used fits perfectly it's just longer hence the machined front bezel assembly.

I was initially going to use just m.2 ssd's but I thought it'd be pretty cool to fill out as much space as I could.

I might consider making a cable hiding bracket or getting cables re-sleeved in black, but for now I just wanna call the build as is

Reactions: CubanLegend

matador1182

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 16, 2020
I will pay you to machine a front piece like that for me. Ever since covid hit, I've lost access to my machine shop :(

Looooll the machine shop I used I found on AliExpress ( the place I used that I can vouch for somewhat sales@smartprototype.net - main man's name is Daniel Huang), the quote was pretty good butt still kinda pricy (around $150 of I remember correctly). They only ship via DHL now cuz of covid so keep that in mind.

I'll upload the models soon enough. I figured if enough ppl wanted it (a front piece that would accommodate a 230mm graphics card) we could go in with a group order (tell ppl u know that might be interested).

Knowing all this and if you still want me to do this, shoot me a pm