Pressure levels across the face of a fan

TinyAudio

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 9, 2017

I have no more money in my modding fund to complete my main Skullcanyon cooling mod, so I need to get saving.

I do have a stop gap option which is to replace the flat laptop-style rotary fan with a standard fan. I have enough vertical space from the edge of the board to fit a 60mm Noctua fan.

In this position would I need to lift the board so the centre of the heatsink is inline with the centre of the fan?

Basically is the highest pressure felt at the centre line or the external circumference of the fan?

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Wow, looks amazing stripped out of its case.

My understanding from commonly held opinions on fans (no scientific evidence to offer, but a quick search found a few mentions) is that there is a 'dead spot' under the hub, depending on the fan design & size.

So, on that basis, you would want the fan blades ver the heatsink rather than the hub centred over it.

Reactions: K888D

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
If you have the room, you can move the fan further away and duct the airflow from it though the heatsink. This can be as simple as using tape between the sides of the fan and the sides of the heatsink to prevent airflow from going anywhere else.