Other Power LED Dimming

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
May 14, 2016
Heyya,

I am running my machine right now as an HTPC. One of the things I would like to change is the power led. When the computer is on, it's not a problem, but just when it goes to sleep is the issue: It blinks.

In my perfect world, I would like it to either dim, or switch to another color. Is there any way to fix this?

I thought of perhaps running off the mobo USB port, and when it drops a certain voltage during sleep, it switches colors. (Or dims).

Is there anything on the market that does this...or perhaps something I can purchase and hack together?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
What OS do you have? I believe there tend to be settings to control the behavior and at least turn the light off on sleep instead of blinking.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I could even just do something more basic...with just an LED plugged directly into a USB mobo header

That's good thinking, but it might not work. Some USB headers will supply power even when the PC is turned off. What's will work is using a free IDE or SATA connector from the PSU.

The LEDs inside PCs are designed to be ran off 5V with a 330Ω resistor, so you only have to re-wire the connector on the power LED an solder the resistor in. You can also use a stronger resistor or a potentiometer to set the brightness to the exact level you want.

Also take a look at your BIOS settings, there might be a way to change the behaviour of the LED.