CPU Possible to buy low power Intel CPUs?

SZQjj

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2018
I'm still putting together my ideal SFF PC. I have been investigating the cpu possibilities and the latest Coffee Lake low power cpus are tempting, the T series (i5-8500T 35w) and U series (i5-8259U 28w).

Are these processors actually available for end consumers to buy or are they meant for OEMs only?

I am particulary interested in the i5-8259U as it seems to be well balanced with high performance, low tdp and includes the better IGP (Iris Plus 655). Out of interest, is there much of a difference between the UHD 630 and Iris Plus 655?

Also, would these cpus work with the Asrock DeskMini 310 barebones?

Thanks

Last edited:

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
The U series processor are all BGA - There are no more socketed mobile processors from Intel.

BUT - The "T" series are available, either from major suppliers or secondhand via eBay.

Reactions: SZQjj

SZQjj

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2018
Oh, I see. That's a shame. Thanks for the info!

The Intel NUC NUC8i5BEK will be an option when it's available but I would prefer USB-C on the front and DisplayPort on the back.

The "T" series looks good so I'll hunt around for that. Although there seems to be a big difference between the Iris Plus 655 and UHD 630 IGP. I won't be gaming on it at all so I guess it won't make much of a difference. Correct me if I'm wrong...

It will be a general purpose pc; browsing, movies, streaming, office, software dev, some audio and video encoding etc.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Turn off turbo boost. Lower voltages. Reduce clock speed. The main difference between the T and regular chips is that they're hardwired to use less power.

Not sure if U series are binned.

Reactions: SZQjj